Sunday 25 June 2017

Cafe Birkenhead, Drummoyne

Delayed Post! After a stroll around the Bay Run, my friends and I head into cafe birkenhead for some brunch. The venue is located upstairs in a big and open space. There are some nice tables with a view but we settle on one nearby
Whenever I have brunch, there's a bit of guilt that overcomes me as I wonder about the avocado debate. Are people spending too much money when they should be saving? I swallow those feelings and focus on the conversation with my friends.

Matt orders a nutella shake and enjoys the sugary calories that come with the shake. 


There's also a nice choice of juices as well which can be quite refreshing after the Bay Run. My friend MC orders the Double Brie and Figs ($16.95) which is served up on sour dough toast with scrambled eggs, prosciutto, cherry tomatoes and crushed walnuts. The scrambled eggs are overcooked and I can tell MC is disappointed in her choice and execution of this dish.


I order the corn fritters with poached egg and salmon. It's topped with avocado and thyme. The grated thin strands in the corn fritter make for interesting texture and I like poached eggs and salmon. I was still a bit hungry after this dish. I can't see this on their latest menu so perhaps they have retired this dish.

I think it's Matt that is most happy with breakfast as he orders the Za'Tar style breakfast ($20.95, below and top photo) which has grilled haloumi, tomato, cucumber salsa, roast pinenuts, over easy eggs, sweet baby capsicum, labni puree and served with za'tar bread. I'm instantly jealous as I see his face full of satisfaction. I manage to steal a bite of the za'tar bread and some haloumi. I want his breakfast.

Summary: Overall, it has been a mixed experience as MC has a below average dish, I had a reasonable dish and Matt has a great breakfast. I would consider going back here to try their food again however there's also quite a few other venues at Birkenhead point that I haven't tried as well. 

Price: $20ish for breakfast/brunch dishes


Location: Birkenhead point


Opening Hours: 

Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm
Weekends 8:30am to 5pm


Weekend Food Escapes dined anonymously and independently paid for this meal. All words, photos and opinions are my own.


Cafe Birkenhead Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment