Thursday 24 August 2017

Petaling, Taste Food Tours - Part 1


Have you ever been on a Taste Food Tour? They're a not-for -profit organisation that aims to spread the word of harmony and diversity and also giving back to the cherished cultural hubs within Sydney. On this occasion I check out the China Town tour.
I have been on a Taste Sydney Food Tour previously and I highly recommend it. The guides are very knowledgeable and it's a good way to sample lots of different dishes from places that you may or may not be familiar with.

The walking tour starts in front of Petaling and I meet our lovely tour leader. I've walked past Petaling many times with the intention to visit but I have yet to go in. Malaysian food has been increasingly become more popular in my books. Those bold flavours are always a winner.


I walk down the stairs and see the cheap and cheerful decore. The Taste Food Tours starts with a round of introductions. There's people from interstate and international guests on the tour and we all love food which is good. Our tour leader starts talking about Chinatown and the rich history from the early Chinese settlers in Sydney.


These days, China town is full of an array of Asian cuisine aside from Chinese food and has expanded across several streets in Haymarket. The benefit of going on a Taste Food Tour is getting an insight into the area, the food and knowing what to order.

Tonight, we sample the Salt and Pepper Eggplant. I've never had eggplant crumbed in this fashion. I'm really pleasantly surprised as eggplant is not normally my favourite vegetable with it's softer textures. The eggplant is really delicious. The batter is light and flavoursome with a slight hint of chilli. MW is already suggesting that we head back to order this dish again.




I love the sambal sauce with it's chilli and prawn flavours so I also dip some of the eggplant into the sambal sauce. I also taste a bit of the Roti Canai with Curry sauce. The Malaysian roti is fluffy in parts and mildly crunchy in others. The curry sauce is a liquid sauce and has a nice hint of spice but is not too bad. MW enjoys the roti. 

Summary: What a great beginning to the Taste Food Tours. Our leader is very knowledgeable and chatty and has brought a lot of energy into the night so far. Petaling is a lovely Malaysian place that is cheap, cheerful and delicious. I'll have to come back.

Price: $20ish per person


Location: 760 George st, Haymarket


Opening Hours: 11am to 11pm daily or later on Friday/Saturday 







Petaling Street: Malaysian Hawker Food Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment