Thursday 7 September 2017

One Penny Red, Summer Hill

The locals know One Penny Red well though as they are known for modern, fresh and innovative dishes. I must admit, I am unfamiliar with the area of Summer Hill. So when MW and I ventured into One Penny Red, I wasn't sure what to expect. I think I've uncovered a hidden inner west gem. 
As I walk into the inviting and modern One Penny Red, I notice a nice wall of wine. One Penny Red recently launched their September "Trust the Yoder" menu which is $65 per person or $110 with matching wines.The "Trust the Yoder" is a 5 course menu which is incredibly high for value. MW is a massive fan of smoked meats so I know he will really enjoy this meal.

I start the "Trust the Yoder" menu at One Penny Red with some snacks. The first being Sardines, rye seeded crisp bread, tomato, smoked garlic cream. MW and I are sharing with some foodie friends so all the portions are made to share.


This colourful concoction has a subtle sardine taste with zesty and fresh elements from the onion, parsley and tomato. It's a a nice bite sized way to start the meal. The snacks are matched with a  a muhr - van der niepoort biaufrankisch rose, carnuntum (2016). This is an Austrian rose which is bright in colour and is heavier than anticipated.




The rose is quite refreshing and matches with the sardine flavours in addition to the next snack - the Beef pastrami, pepper berry, celeriac, eshallot, pangratto. The thinly sliced pastrami is matched with a refreshing celeriac and crunchy eshallot sprinkles. A great way to warm up the senses. My foodie friends really enjoy the beef pastrami.






Next up is sassafras fiano, riverlands (2016) with clarence river king prawns, smoked tarragon butter, grilled coorong sea blite.


Prawns are my favourite and matched with a nice mellow and friendly glass of wine - I am in heaven. I can see the other foodies eyes light up as well once the prawns arrive on the table.The prawns are slightly smokey with a buttery texture. A combination that makes it irresistible and very enjoyable to eat. The sassafras fiano goes down too well with these buttery prawns.



We take a small break so Head Chef RJ can show us his Yoda Smoker. RJ Lines is a tall, dark and handsome chef who speaks with much joy about all things food, wine and deliciousness. I enjoy listening to him talk. Those beautiful smokey flavours come from a very expensive smoker.




I know MW is looking forward to the next two dishes. First up is Gooralie pasture raised pork neck, morcilla, fermented cabbage. I feel slightly impatient smelling the delicious scent while we take photos but MW and I share this lovely portion of pork neck.



This pork neck is incredibly flavoursome with smokey flavours with a rich sauce. The crunchy beans make for textural contrast but it's that soft smokey pork that leaves a flavoursome impression. It's paired with Bobar gama-ray gamay cabernet franc, yarra valley (2016).




My favourite dish and MW also agrees that the Plum and molasses beef short rib, kale is the highlight. The smokey BBQ sticky beef short ribs are so tasty. The short rib is so melt in your mouth and finger lickin' yum. I really enjoy the refreshing kale salad which tops the short rib as it balances out the meal. The matching wine is my favourite - with the 
kohlrabi matched with latta vino shays flat young skin no 2 sangiovese, pyrenees (2015). What a perfect pairing. 







I've had such a lovely lunch so far, chatting to MW and my foodie friends. The food has been delicious, moreish and enjoyable. How could you top that? Well with dessert of course. We finish the course with Smoked ricotta, blood orange and chocolate tartlet, rye whiskey ice cream matched with sorelle palazzi riserva vin santo, tuscany (2010). It's basically a heavenly combination of flavours.

The orange and chocolate linger over the tongue with the rye whiskey ice cream smoothing out the taste buds. The matching port wine is heavenly. I have had several total foodgasms.

Summary: I've had an incredibly wonderful meal that was flawless. I think the "trust the yoder" menu is great and satisfying. My fave dishes of the menu were the short rib and the dessert - closely followed by the prawns and pork neck.

I highly recommend - perfect for a nice date or any reason really. Do it. 

Price: 
September "Trust the Yoder" menu which is $65 per person or $110 with matching wines

Location: 2 Moonbie St, Summer Hill


Opening Hours: 

Monday - 5:30pm to 10:30pm
Tuesday - 4pm to 10:30pm
Wednesday - 12pm to 2pm, 4pm to 10:30pm
Thursday - 12pm to 2pm, 4pm to 11pm
Friday - 12pm to 2pm, 4pm to 11:30pm
Saturday - 12pm to 11:30pm
Sunday 12pm to 10pm




Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of wasamedia. All words, photos and opinions are my own.
One Penny Red Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    BBQ cleaning Randwick
    End of lease cleaning Annangrove
    End of lease cleaning Allawah

    ReplyDelete