Saturday 19 May 2018

Salmon and Bear, Newtown



Salmon and Bear has two locations, one in Newtown and one in Zetland. I recently visit Salmon and Bear in Newtown with Matt for a nice Saturday date night. 
Salmon and Bear is located on King St in Newtown. It's a short stroll from the station. As I enter on this particular Saturday I immediately notice the cabin feel and the big deer head hanging out near the entrance. 


You order at the counter and take a table number. There's also alcohol if you're looking for a beer or wine to match your food. Matt orders a newtowner which is made from Young Henry's Brewery in Newtown. How appropriate. I go for a glass of the prosecco to enjoy with my meal.  We are given prawn crackers to snack on while we wait for our meal which is a nice touch.



I immediately notice there are Potato Scallops  ($5) on the menu and make a note to order them. I love potato scallops, they remind me of my childhood and the corner fish and chip shop aka the chippo. These potato scallops are lightly battered on the outside and have soft potato filling. Matt notices the lack of chicken salt on the potato scallops compared to the local chippo but this is probably for the best as it's a slightly healthier version. I really enjoyed these potato scallops as a side snack. The potato scallops come with a sour cream and chive dipping sauce. This feels like an adult snack.





For an entree or a lighter meal, there are the tacos. There's three options, there's the salmon taco, battered fried fish or calamari. The tacos are served up on a soft taco tortilla and has drizzled srirachia mayo and also have cabbage, salsa verde, pickled pink onions. My personal favourite and agreed by Matt is the Battered Fish Taco! The lightly battered fish just makes for the perfect filling. I quite enjoy the salmon taco and calamari taco as well but it's the battered fish that is the stand out. Matt thought the tacos were really good and gobbled them up. You can get three tacos for $15 or you can get two for $12. 




There's also poke bowls. Did you know the poke bowl originated in Hawaii and typically has raw fish and is mixed up with salad ingredients.I order the Albacore Tuna Poke Bowl ($21). The seared Albacore Tuna is served up in a sweet soy and sesame dressing with Asian style crispy noodle and slaw salad topped in a light sriracha mayo. I really enjoyed this dish as the tuna was refreshing to eat with the crunchy salad. Texturally and flavour wise this dish makes my food feelings happy. Matt and I devour this and I would definitely order this one again.





The Signature at the Salmon and Bear is the Grizzly Plate where you can choose your main fish, your sauce and any side for $27.95 or you can add an additional side for $32.95. There's five different choices for your main fish, I end up choosing the Catch of the Day which is the Ocean Trout.

I ask for a sauce recommendation from the staff and they suggest Yoghurt and Dill with the Ocean Trout. In terms of sides, I go for the Corn Salad which has char grilled corn, cucumber, red capsicum, cherry tomato, spinach with a miso and sesame dressing and also the  Roasted Veg which has pumpkin, zucchini, carrot, potato and onion which is roasted in a Mibrasa oven with a honey and mustard dressing and is topped with almonds. The Signature Grizzly Plate is a very homely meal and is very satisfying. Delicious and healthy.






Summary: For a high quality meal, why not head to Salmon and Bear. Matt's favourite dish was the tuna poke bowl because it was delicious. I liked the potato scallops and the Signature Grizzly plate as it was very homely and healthy.

I'd definitely recommend checking this venue out. 

Price: Mains vary from $20-30


Location: 226 King St, Newtown


Opening Hours: 

Monday, Tuesday 5:30am to 9:30pm
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 12pm to 3pm, 5:30-10pm
Sunday 12-3pm, 5:30pm to 9:30pm



Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.
Salmon & Bear Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:


  1. Fast cash offer for you today at just 2% interest rate, both long and short term cash of all amounts and currencies, no collateral required. We give out from a minimum range of $2000 to a maximum of $20 million.We are certified and your privacy is 100% safe with us Apply now for your instant approval and transfer approval process takes just 3 hours. contact us now
    I'll advise you can contact us via email at
    Contact Us At : abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete