Friday 31 January 2020

Modern Italian, Vizio Caffè e Cucina, Woolloomooloo


Vizio Caffe E Cucina is a modern Italian restaurant located in Woolloomooloo, a short walk from Hyde Park. I was here two years ago when they first opened and I return recently on a Friday night where it is buzzing, full of atmosphere.



I arrive at Vizio Caffe E Cucina at 6pm and by 7pm, the restaurant is full. I am exhausted from the working week and am ready for a cocktail. The Sicilian Affair ($18) calls out to me with it's homemade limoncello, vodka, solerno orange liquer, orange sorbet and pineapple juice. The cocktail is refreshing, sweet and allows for the relaxing to begin!



Mr Weekend Food Escapes on the other hand is more enticed by one of the Grappa cocktails. This is a unique offering that Vizio Caffe E Cucina has. Grappa is a spirit that is made from grape skin, seeds and stems and has a higher alcohol content than wine! I haven't seen such an extensive grappa offering before. Mr Weekend Food Escapes decides on the North Fashioned ($20) which is made of  sarpa oro di poli grappa, angostura bitter, sugar and soda water. Mr Weekend Food Escapes has a much stronger tasting cocktail which has a subtle bitter taste.  We both sip our cocktails and let the atmosphere soak in. There's a couple next to us that are going to do a degustation. While this is tempting, I have a closer look at the a la cart menu.

We are treated to complimentary mozzarella mounds to prepare our tastebuds. What a mouthful of delicious. I love a bit of cheese.



I am instantly drawn to the kingfish as an entree to share. The Carpaccio Di Kingfish ($32) consists of hiramasa kingfish carpaccio, stracciatella, caviar, yuzu, green apple and celery. Mr Weekend Food Escapes comments that he really enjoys the textural apple foam with the sweet drops of yuzu with the kingfish. He also notes that the kingfish is cut quite thick for a carpaccio but we both agree that we like eating kingfish in a thicker slice. This dish is really refreshing and easy to enjoy. I like the addition of the blackberry which adds a further sweetness to the dish.




I order three mains for Mr Weekend Food Escapes and I to share. We start with the Ravioli ($32)  which is made from home made potato ravioli, black truffle, provola cheese sauce and pistachio dust. The Ravioli looks so good! I cut into the ravioli so I can see the potato filling and swish it around in that sauce. It's delicious. I know Mr Weekend Food Escapes enjoys it and was expecting a larger portion. I remind him that we have other dishes coming along.





I also enjoy the Risotto ($38) which is served with king prawns, carnaroli riserva risotto, mascarpone cheese, lemon, mint, chilli, bottarga. The Risotto has soaked up all those delicious flavours and I go straight for the prawns that are swimming amongst the risotto. 


By recommendation of the staff, we also order the T-Bone Steak Murray Valley served Medium Rare - Minimum of 500 grams ($12 per 100g). We order the minimum of 500g. The steak comes out with three sauces - I dip mostly in the mustard and the truffle aioli. The T bone is nice and pink and this makes for easy sharing as it's already sliced up. The meat is tender, juicy and enjoyable to eat. It especially goes down well with my glass of wine while Mr Weekend Food Escapes enjoys an Italian beer.



I also suggest ordering some sides, I had to order the roasted potato ($11) which is served up as large wedges with truffle aioli (yesss). To balance out the meat, I also order the Radicchio and Orange salad ($13). I'm happy I ordered the sides as they also add textural and flavour difference. I like the orange in the salad.




  

I'm actually quite full but Mr Weekend Food Escapes always has additional space for dessert. We agree to share the Ricotta and Pear with mixed biscotto, fresh ricotta, poached pears, walnut and honey gelato ($15). The dessert comes out looking so beautiful until Mr Weekend Food Escapes demolishes the dessert in a few bites. He muffles - that was good. I luckily manage to get one spoonful of that delicious honey gelato with poached pear before he finishes. I highly recommend.




Summary: Overall, I had a really lovely dinner at Vizio Caffe e Cucina. I can understand why it's such a popular venue. My favourite dishes were the Kingfish, the Truffle Ravioli (although, would love more in portion) and the T bone was delicious. They have great cocktails, great atmosphere and good looking staff. I suggest booking ahead.

Price: Most mains are $29-38. Degustations are $75pp


Location: 1/52-58 William St, Woolloomooloo (Near Hyde Park)


Opening Hours: 

Open Monday to Friday 7am to 11pm
Saturday 5pm to 11pm
Sunday Closed


Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.
Vizio Caffè e Cucina Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    End of lease cleaning Alexandria
    End of lease cleaning Darlinghurst
    End of lease cleaning Newtown

    ReplyDelete