Wednesday 8 February 2017

Won Jo, Strathfield


I had an epic craving for tteokbokki (Korean rice cake) so based on another blogger's advice (all about food blog), I went to Won Jo in Strathfield. I head there on a Friday night where it's actually quite busy.


I can smell a lot of BBQ meats so I gathered that this place is primarily a Korean BBQ place. It smells delicious and everyone around me seems to be enjoying themselves. Every few tables has a bit of privacy with these little walls.

MW orders a beer and I decide to order a cola for a bit of a sugary buzz. We look at the menu and because I really want to try some of the menu items that were non-Korean BBQ - MW agrees.

I order the beef bulgogi ($16.50). Won Jo serves up the beef on a sizzling plate and the beef is quite flavoursome in flavour. I was hoping for a bit more spice in the beef but otherwise this is a dish that's quickly devoured and recommended.


I love how Korean restaurants also give you complimentary sides (below) to most meals. Won Jo also serves these sides. I quickly eat some kim chi to satisfy that chilli kick I was looking for in the beef bulgogi. The kim chi and the potato are generally my favourite sides. 




MW also orders a half portion of the sweet and spicy fried chicken. It's not bad but definitely not the best korean fried chicken in Strathfield. It's more sweet fried chicken as I couldn't taste any spiciness to the chicken. The skin is quite thick. I suggest heading to Red Pepper if you want fried chicken as the main event.

Now to the small cheesey tteokbokki ($15, below). The rice cake is plump, light and nice to eat. The cheese is melted over and it's hard to go wrong with this combination. I was looking for a slightly more spicy kick from the sauce. Regardless of the high expectations, I quite enjoy this dish.


Summary: Won Jo is a buzzing restaurant with a very extensive menu. It seems to be the most popular for its Korean BBQ however I quite like their Beef Bulgogi and cheesey tteokbokki. I would like a bit more spice in both dishes although I wonder if they had lowered the level of spice just for MW and I. 7/10 for me.

Price: $25-30 per person

Location: A few minutes from the station, 33, The boulevard, Strathfield. 


Opening Hours: 11am to 11:30pm daily


Weekend Food Escapes dined anonymously and paid independently. All words, photos and opinions are my own.


Won Jo Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. This article is so incredible! Much obliged to you for sharing this great data. I enjoyed the manner in which you exhibited your data. I appreciateEnd of lease cleaning bondi | Bond cleaning Alexandria perusing this blog which incorporates bunches of supportive data its exceptionally intriguing and amazing. Thank you for sharing this awesome information.End of lease cleaning

    ReplyDelete