Sunday 21 April 2019

Manjit's Wharf, King St Wharf Sydney


Manjit's Wharf is located on King St Wharf and I would consider the best Indian in Sydney. I know it's a big call but i've always had such great food experiences at Manjit's Wharf. I was eager to go back to see what was new on their autumn menu. They also provide catering for functions including weddings 



Manjit's Wharf has contemporary Indian with traditional flavours.  The venue has gorgeous waterviews so Matt and I enjoy a Cobra Beer, a smooth beer and a glass of grenache to kick off our lunch while we enjoy the view.



A nice way to kick-start the taste buds would be to order some of the bite sized entrees. A crowd favourite is often the Manjit's Wharf papadums ($5) with four flavoured chakra ($12) including mango chutney, mixed pickle, Tamarin sauce, yoghurt, cucumber raita. The papadums are rolled so they make for a nice shape to dip into the various sauces.



Manjit's Wharf has Gol Gol Gappa ($3 per piece) which is a contemporary twist on a classic street food with crispy pastry filled with spiced chickpea and potato, served with tamarind and amchur caviar. I love this dish with the crispy texture of the pastry and the soft chickpea and potato in contrast. The liquid is tangy in flavour and really awakens my palette.

There's the Coni Papdi with Tamarind Sorbet ($3 per piece), is another contemporary twist on a classic street food which has potatoes, chickpeas marinated with spiced yoghurt, topped with tamarind sorbet, amchur and fresh mint chutney. These little sorbets are adorable! The tamarind sorbet is quite refreshing and I highly recommend this dish.





Manjit's Wharf also has a number of other contemporary entrees including Kashmiri Chicken ($19) has free range chicken tenderloin marinated with spices and chickpea flour, cooked in Tandoor oven, finished with zesty lemon and sweet pea puree. The chicken is so perfectly cooked, Matt comments on how succulent the chicken is and how flavoursome the chicken is. It's so delicious.

A must order is the Pyaaj Ka Phool ($16) is Manjit's take on the classic onion bhaji. This dish consists of a baby gladaian brown pyaaj  from Lockyer Valley in Queensland which is richly coated in a spiced chickpea flour and deep fried to golden perfection.  I am in heaven while eating this dish. The crispy onion shards are strategically decorated with the tamarind sauce. It's so delicious and addictive. I have to stop myself from eating too much.





Manjit's Wharf also has a number of protein dishes including the Kakori Seekh Kebab ($18) which has a layer of chicken and another layer of lamb mince kebab, infused with traditional indian spices, roasted over the special charcoal tandoor oven. The Kebab is smokey and full of vibrant flavours.

There's also the unique Yuzu Fish Malai ($19) is made of fish fillet roasted and served with a blend of coconut moolie, fresh tobiko and japanese Yuzu. I've never had yuzu in an Indian dish before. The yuzu flavours really bring out the mildly spicy sauce. The fish is soft, flakey and quite flavoursome on it's own and is topped with fresh seaweed. I love the fusion in this dish. You should try it out!




I'm starting to get full however Matt and I continue to eat. 
Traditional Idil is a traditional South Indian steamed rice cakes, filled with vegetables, served with tomato rasam and saffron foam. I've had this dish before when I've gone on a food tour in Harris Park. The steamed rice cake is soft and absorbs the broth. I prefer some of the other entrees but this is a good one if you are looking for a traditional dish to order.



When you look at the menu for mains, there's a lot of choices and here are a few that I tried on this particular lunch. We are served a smaller portion upon request as we are getting full. 

Manjit's Wharf also has a long list of curries including the popular Dhaba Goat Curry ($31) which has tender goat pieces cooked in a traditional roadside style gravy of browned onion, ginger, garlic, black cardamom and cassia bark. Matt loves eating this goat curry and soaks up the flavours with the rice and naan bread.





Manjit's Wharf has a signature dish called the Baingan Takatak ($26)  which is a Tandoori roasted fresh eggplant left to caramelise to a char, coarsely cut with onion, tomato and chilli prepared on the traditional "tawa" hotplate, finished with fresh peas then smoked with apple and cardamom. This dish is very delicious and if you really focus, you can taste the complexity of the flavours.  I would also argue that their butter chicken should also be a signature given it's the best in Sydney.











One of my favourite dishes  when I dine with Indian cuisine is the Chicken Tikka Masala ($28) traditional Indian-British favourite, fresh onion, capsicum and tomato combined with a smoky tandoori chicken tikka pieces topped with lemon juice garnished with coriander. The chicken tikka masala is full of really bold tomato based flavours. This is my favourite curry although I do enjoy the eggplant and also the goat curry. I highly recommend this dish.


Manjit's Wharf also has my favourite garlic naan to soak up all the flavours. While I am quite full, there's always room for dessert. We are treated with this delicious dessert.


The soft sweet bread is served warm and is topped with pistachio and is served with condensed milk. I won't lie, I am slightly drooling as I reflect on this dessert. I highly recommend! 



Summary: Overall, I had another flawless experience at Manjit's Wharf. The best Indian in Sydney does not disappoint and I absolutely enjoyed the new items on their autumn menu. The highlights would have to be the contemporary twists on their entrees but I enjoyed all the dishes overall. I highly recommend!

Price: Mains vary from $20 to 40


Location: 10/49 Lime St, Sydney


Opening Hours: 

Sunday, Monday to Friday 12pm to 3pm, 5:30pm to 10:30pm
Saturday 5pm to 10:30pm



Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own. Thanks to  Spooning Australia
Manjit's @ The Wharf Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post guys - thanks so much for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to room for dessert - it has been scientifically proven - the end sugar intake actually stretches your stomach open a little bit so you can fit more haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a feast! The dessert looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
    bulk organic dried fruit

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s exhausting to search out knowledgeable folks on this matter, however you sound like you realize what you’re speaking about! Thanks
    top producers of rice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post. I absolutely appreciate this site. this site will be very help full to get knownledge.
    medium grain rice brands

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to get best Indian Restaurant in Sydney then just click on this link and know more. call us and know more.

    ReplyDelete