Friday 24 July 2020

New Shanghai, Chatswood


New Shanghai in Chatswood typically has massive queues on the weekend so with the covid-19 situation, I was unsure about how many people would be there on this particular Saturday morning. I arrive early and was able to get a table without any waiting when I arrived at about 11:20 am. The restaurant quickly fills and there's a queue before I blink.
New Shanghai is a chain restaurant that is known for their dumplings and their Shanghainese cuisine. I have been to the other venues in Ashfield and Sydney CBD. I would say the signature dish at New Shanghai is their Xiao Long Bao (Soup dumplings) however on this occasion, I decide to order a few other dishes. 

I am given a pen and am asked to fill out my place mat to place my order. Mr Weekend Food Escapes walks over to the water station and gets us some water. What a gentleman. I order the Pan Fried Pork Buns ($15.20, 8 pcs). These dumplings always entice me with their sexy crispy bottoms. Now beware as the pan fried pork buns are quite hot in filling so I rip open the top and scoop up a spoonful of soy sauce and vinegar into the bun. The buns are delicious. I recommend.



I also am craving some Shanghai Stir Fried Noodles with pork and vegetables ($14.50).  In my bowl, I pour soy sauce, a smaller pour of vinegar and some chilli before I pick up the noodles. I love how the noodles soak up those flavours. Stir fried noodles are so moreish. I like the texture of the noodles.


 Mr Weekend Food Escapes picks our final New Shanghai dish as we are sharing. He orders the Shepherd's Purse and Pork Wontons in a peanut sauce with chilli oil (10 pcs for $16.80). The wonton skins are quite slippery and I immediately break the skin by accident uncovering the pork filling. I scoop up some of the peanut and chilli oil sauce and bathe the wonton before putting this in my mouth. Yum. I enjoy the silky skin of the wonton and the flavours of the pork that soak up the sauce. 

Summary: Well I am well satisfied with the combination of flavours that I've eaten in this meal. I would have been happy eating the Xiao Long Bao as well but I enjoy eating the other dishes. The Pan Fried Buns are a must order and I enjoy the flavour and textural difference with the noodles and wontons as well. 

Price: $25-35 per person

Location: In Chatswood Chase Shopping Centre, 345 Chatswood Chase, Chatswood


Opening Hours: 

Open Daily 
Mon - Wed, Friday, Sunday: 11am to 8pm
Thursday, Saturday: 11am to 8:30pm



New Shanghai Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, thanks for sharing it. You take advantage of them even when things are not going well! Would you like to see more and more new topics like Fake Chat? I made a profile about generate whatsapp chat. It explains how to do this. Feel free to read it and let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete