Monday 29 May 2023

Margan Wine and Restaurant, Broke Fordwich, Hunter Valley

 

Margan Wine and Restaurant holds a dear place in my heart. First of all, they are an award winning winery and restaurant. Secondly, they are leaders in sustainability and environmental operations. Thirdly, the staff are amazing, friendly and helpful.

It's been a few years since 2014 since I've last been to Margan Wine and Restaurant but I've had such fond memories of my last experience. For an anniversary celebration, we decide to revisit Margan's see what's changed.

I make sure to book at Margan Wine and Restaurant and book the "Margan Dining Experience" which is a bespoke 5 course tasting menu with options with classic, vegetarian or vegan options. It's $115 per person and is an approximate 2 hour experience. 

It's a bit cold today but I walk in and see the familiar inviting entrance and bar and there's a fireplace crackling away in the background.

I've arrived early and am seated in the restaurant so manage to get a shot before other people arrive. Today, Matteo is looking after us and he is super friendly and informative. He explains that the produce is from the Margan's farm. I smile enthusiastically knowing that the produce is fresh and seasonal - direct from the farm.

Behind me, I can see the Barrel room which is where I last had a Margan's dinner in 2014. I raise my glass in cheers to the room with a cheeky grin. Let's have a look at the menu. I was reading the menu and noticed Margan's has their Olive trees, free range chickens, beehives and they raise their own lambs.

I am looking forward to this lovely menu for lunch! While I am tempted to get the matching wines, I decide to go for single glasses on this day.

I start off the meal with a La Nina Sparking Rose 2022 ($9 glass, $45 for the bottle). It's a light, refreshing way to start the meal. I can see the bubbles popping away on my tongue. I could easily drink a bottle of this. 

I completely forgot to take a photo of the olives but I started nibbling away and enjoyed the salty flesh. I then fell in love with this potato and herb focaccia bread (below). This bread is so addictive with his crunchy herb infused top and soft, slightly oily bread flesh below. I spread some salted butter and enjoy.

The saltiness of the olives and comforting bread made for perfect contrast against the pickled carrots with dukkah. My palette is very sensitive to spice and I could taste a subtle spice to the crunch of the dukkah. Delicious! 

Above is the Garden Beetroot, almond skordalia and puffed grains.  This dish has three beautifully complementary textures from the crunch grains, the smooth almond skordialia (which traditionally is Greek/Turkish puree or dip) and the freshness of the flesh of the garden beetroot. It's a well thought out dish. The flavours work very well together.

I see the next course and it's the  "Pumpkin fritter - molokhia - smoked eggplant" (below). At first I thought it was a green plate but I quickly realise the green is molokhia is a smooth soupy texture. This fancy pumpkin fritter looks like a piece of fish! It's pleasantly deceiving. I crack open the pumpkin fritter and taste the crunchy coating which encases the soft and mildly sweet pumpkin. The green molokhia soup is smooth and mellow in flavour so it still champions the pumpkin fritter. I like it. I also soak up the molokhia with some more tasty bread.


Next up is the Lamb Shoulder - Jersalem artichoke - chard - mint. This dish smells amazing. I gingerly use my knife and fork to cut open a small piece of the lamb, it immediately falls apart. I taste some lamb and it's very well cooked, melt in your mouth with delicious flavours. The contrast of the sauce and the slightly sourness from the artichoke make for a well rounded dish.


Next up is the Heidi gruyere - rhubarb - chestnut sable. I munch away at the cheese which has nice nutty flavours. The chestnut sable is sweet which contrasts well with the cheese and the sourness and slight bitterness from the rhubarb.

The final course is the Quince and vanilla tart - caramelised white chocolate. This dish is a sweet dessert dish. Vanilla, Quince and White Chocolate is a nice combination. Nom. Nom. Nom. 



Nom. We are also given some macaroons to finish the meal. Nom!

Summary: Overall, I had a lovely revisit and still think very fondly of Margans. My favourite dishes would be the lamb, pumpkin fritter and the bread. I know bread is not meant to be be a highlight but I loved it! My savoury preference is showing here! I do like the desserts as well.

I suggest you book to ensure you are able to get a table. Enjoy!

Price: $115 per person. Wine additional. 

Location: 1238 Milbrodale Rd, Broke, NSW, 2330

Opening Hours: These hours may be for the cellar door. 
Mon to Thurs and Sunday 10am to 5pm
Fri to Saturday 10am to 10pm






3 comments:

  1. REally nice post. I really admire these kind of information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post on the blog is truly beautiful, thank you for sharing it.



    dissertation help uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice post I was really looking for this information. Thanks to you for this information

    ReplyDelete