Monday 16 November 2015

Luyu and Yum Yum, Newtown

For creative and modern dumplings. check out Luyu and Yum Yum in Newtown. 

Luyu and Yum Yum is a favourite  and highly recommended for many of Sydney's food bloggers and one of my friends who happens to have the name of Luyu.

I check out Luyu and Yum Yum with great anticipation and heightened expectations. As I walk up the stairs and enter the modern decore and buzzing atmosphere, I am really looking forward to seeing my friends Meenal and Phuong.
Along with a glass of champagne, I order the Flying Seafood Dumpling (4 pieces, top photo) for $13.80. The dumpling has slither of Scallop on top  with flying fish roe and the dumpling has a filling of fish ball, Prawn, and asparagus. I devour the dumpling along with a touch of soy sauce. The dumpling taste quite unique and different to your typical yum cha dumplings.



I have seen many photos of rabbit and hedgehog dumplings from my fellow food bloggers. I had to check out the Snow White Rabbit Dumpling which was a prawn, asparagus, bambo shoot and creamy luyu home-made creamy soup in chrysanthemum infused potato starch dough steamed dumpling (above, $12.80). The little rabbits are adorable and I get a very prominent prawn taste.

The crowd favourite in dumplings with my friends was the Mr Luyu Star Burst Dumpling (4 pieces, below) with Pork and fruit infused soup in a flour dough steamed. What a modern twist on the humble xiao long bao! I could taste the fruity flavours within the soup and very much enjoyed this dish.



For a few more substantial meals, we shared the Noodles of King Prawn Oyster Mushroom, chives, baby corn and carrot ($17.80, above). The noodles weren't too oily but I was hoping for more noodles. The Spicy Chicken (Below, $18.80) with capsicum and walnut was only mildly spicy and I enjoyed the variation in textures.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Luyu and Yum Yum. You will pay more than your traditional yum cha experience with smaller portions in mains but you will experience a lot of unique taste and twists on traditional dumpling favourites. So I wouldn't come here if you are really hungry!

Prices: $45-55 per head

Location: 196 King St, Newtown


Summary: Lisa's Rating: 
Food: 8/10 for posh dining
Customer Service: 8/10
Atmosphere: 8/10
Value: 6/10


Luyu and Yum Yum Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. I thank for your time of this wonderful blog read about cleaning!!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and subscribed to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!
    End of lease cleaning
    End of lease cleaning Sydney
    Bond cleaning sydney
    Bond cleaning

    ReplyDelete