Monday 6 August 2018

Ho Jiak, Haymarket


I had to go back to Ho Jiak recently when I found out they had a new menu. I joined my foodie friend Andy for a Malaysian feast. I absolutely enjoyed my last visit to Ho Jiak so I was looking forward to the upcoming dinner.








I kick off the night at Ho Jiak with a glass of wine while Matt goes for a Tiger beer. Cheers!  Who's ready for a feast? 



I've seen a lot of instagram posts about this dish and eager to make the most of the truffle season - I order the Indomee Buttermilk Truffle ($39). This dish came out and you could already smell the aromatic truffle.  The spicy stir fried instant noodles are drenched in a moat of buttermilk and is topped with truffles and fried egg.  This dish is also accompanied by fishcakes and asian greens. This dish was so popular, I think we basically inhaled this delicious dish. The noodles were spicy and full flavour and you could taste the hints of truffle. I highly recommend ordering this dish. What a great mix of street food meets delicious truffle.






Ho Jiak also has other new items on the menu including this Stir Fried Chicken Wings with a buttery salted egg yolk mixture and curry leaves ($12). This small chicken wings had a really crispy coating and was quite salty but it left you smacking your lips. The chicken wings were very moreish and were also a hit with the table. The chicken wings are more about the skin then flesh but there's a whole stack of chicken wings to enjoy in a group setting.




Ho Jiak has this next dish which has to be shared. I am not sure how you could finish this on your own. It's the Kari Claypot ($45). It's the fisherman's catch of the day cooked in a claypot of creamy coconut curry with vegetables. This dish was incredibly aromatic from afar, as it's placed on the table, I can see the creamy curry with chunks of fish, tofu, okra. I taste the curry and it's full of flavour. It's mildly spicy and very easy to eat. 




Ho Jiak also has Sang Cye Hniau Kor ($20) which are steamed fresh lettuce cups with chinese mushrooms with garlic and oyster sauce. I rarely eat steamed lettuce but I have to say I enjoyed the Malaysian steamed lettuce. The texture is soft and flavoursome from the garlic and oyster sauce. It's a sneaky way to get more greens into your meal.



Ho Jiak also has the Nui Choay Cim ($45) which has silky steamed century duck and chicken egg with freshly caught blue swimmer crabs. What a posh way to eat steamed century eggs. The egg has soaked in the crab flavours and you can also crack open the crab to further enjoy the flesh. I personally don't always enjoy steamed egg but I know this is a very popular dish. You should definitely order the dish if you enjoy silky egg flavours. It's an opportunity to mellow out the palette from the usual bold Malaysian flavours.




Ho Jiak also has a new dish which I was excited to try - the Crispy Rendang with KFC Chicken ($38). The chicken literally taste like the colonel's secret recipe fried chicken drizzled with spicy rendeng curry. The sauce naturally softens the chicken but you can still taste the crispy chicken underneath. It's the sauce that really is the hero of the dish. 




For dessert, I also check out the new Ho Jiak addition of Pulut Hitam (warm, $9) which has black glutinous rice porridge with coconut milk. I love this asian dessert, it's really sweet from the syrups and the rice has turned a sugary consistency - which is a bit firmer than soft rice. Enjoy!



Summary: Overall, I'd highly recommend the new dishes on the Ho Jiak menu. My favourite dishes were the KFC Rendeng as I enjoyed the crispy chicken in the high flavoursome sauce and secondly that Indomee buttermilk truffle. I am still thinking about how delicious those noodles were which that incredibly aromatic truffle and buttermilk. So delicious. You must go while you can and bring some friends as the meal is best shared.

Price: $30-40 per person


Location: 92 Hay St, Haymarket


Opening Hours: 

Open Daily 11am to 10pm




Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.
Ho Jiak 好吃 Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

4 comments:

  1. Goodday

    I'm David Huber. A reputable, legitimate & accredited lender. I give out loan of all kinds in a very fast and easy way, Personal Loan, Car Loan, Home Loan, Student Loan, Business Loan, Inventor loan, Debt Consolidation. etc

    Get approved for a business or personal loans today and get funds within same week of application. These personal loans can be approved regardless of your credit and there are lots of happy customers to back up this claim. But you won’t only get the personal loan you need; you will get the cheapest one. This is our promise: We guarantee The lowest rate for all loans with free collateral benefits.

    We strive to leave a positive lasting impression by exceeding the expectations of my customers in everything I do. Our goal is to treat you with dignity and respect while providing the highest quality service in a timely manner. No social security Number required and it's 100% Guaranteed. Kindly respond immediately using the details below if interested in a loan and be free of scams

    Best Regards,
    David Huber
    +18305002861
    davidhuber101@usa.com
    loan.financeexpressllc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day everybody my name is Mrs Caroline Gilli am here to share with you my life experience on how a great man called Dr Alexzander saved me and my marriage.I have been Married & Barren for for 5 years i had no child. i have never been pregnant i was a subject of laughter from my Friends & neighbors, i almost lost my marriage because of this issue.i was so confused that i did not know what to do until i came across this great Dr online and i contacted him at once i was scared weather it was going to work because i never believed things like this before, so i decided to give it a try and i did all what Dr Alexzander asked of me and today to my greatest surprise i took in the first time and i gave birth to a bouncing baby boy and now my marriage that was about crashing before is now restored. my husband now love and want me better, Am so happy for everything that have been happening in my life since i met this Dr Alexzander.
    I want to tell all the women/men out there who have a similar situation like mine,that the world is not over YET they should dry up their tears and contact this great man and their problem will be gone or are you also having other problems you can also contact Dr Alexzander, here is how you can contact him alexzanderhightemple@gmail.com or contact him via his whatsapp phone number +2348075823891.
    Thank Dr Alexzander for everything you did in my marriage.
    Thanks
    Caroline Grilli

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Indomee Buttermilk truffle looks fantastic!! I really need to get my butt to Ho-Jiak!!

    ReplyDelete