Friday 16 March 2018

Khatoon, Parramatta, Taste Food Tour Tourist Edition, Part 5


Khatoon sounds like a Thai restaurant but it's not. It's actually a Persian restaurant located on Church St Parramatta. Matt is incredibly experimental with food and flavours where as I like to stick to more familiar cuisines.

Khatoon is one of the stops as part of the Taste Food Tours. Before Khatoon, I had experienced a lovely rivercat boat ride along with some treats on the way. This is part 5 of my experience. 

This tour is great for tourists that are looking to experience the mix of cultures in Australia. For those who do not know, Taste Food Tours is a charity organisation that looks to spread the word of cultural diversity through food tours that employ refugees or those who come from a diverse background. Have you tried Persian food before?


From the outside, I can see a number of dishes I've never heard of before. Our tour leader talks about the special 3D Jelly dessert.



The foodie group sits down in a dim decore with wall paper that has French icons and little decorative ornaments on the table that you would typically see at weddings. The first we share is the eggplant dish ($10) called Kashk e bademjaan. It's a smoked eggplant dish with mint oil and has slightly crunchy textures with nuts. We eat this kashk e bademjaan with lebanese bread. It's quite smokey. It's very unfamiliar for me in flavour but Matt seems to enjoy it.



The next dish I sample is the beetroot yoghurt dip which is called  Mast O Labo ($7). The dip is a light pink and I would describe this dish as 85% yoghurt and 15% beetroot. I think more of a balance of beetroot would make this dish more tasty (unless you really love yoghurt).






For dessert, Matt and I share the signature dish of the $7 3D Jelly. We ask whether a jelly cake is a Persian dish but apparently it's a big thing in Iran. You can see a beautiful red flower in jelly. I eat some of the jelly with cream. How random, I think in my head.


The more favoured dessert by the group seems to be the Shole Zard ($5) which is a saffron rice pudding with rose water, almond and sugar. It's a nice and sweet rice pudding with Persian flavours. Nice work.

Overall, I think the dishes are very reasonably priced and worth checking out if you want to try a few new dishes. I wouldn't order the beetroot dip again though. The 3D jelly would be very popular with the kids.

Check out the rest of my tour
Check out part 1 here.
Check out part 2 here.

Check out part 3 here.
Check out part 4 here.


Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.

Khatoon Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment