Saturday 15 April 2017

Platia Greek Taverna, Top Ryde


I've walked past Platia Greek Taverna a few times and I finally stop by to try out their Greek food thanks to an extended invite by Around the Clock Foodie. It also happens I dine on one of their monthly event nights where there is zorba dancing! How exciting.

I have to say, I'm quite a fan of Greek cuisine in general. From their delicious gyros to slow cooked braised lamb shoulders. I've not had a bad Greek meal in my life. So how does Platia Greek Taverna compare?

Platia Greek Taverna is located in Top Ryde with quite a large space in the open forum where there are many restaurants. On this particular Friday night, it's quite busy and I can see a short line forming to get a table. Our table of 6 people share a whole lot of dishes starting with some dips and flat bread ($18) which is always a winner to start things off. We start chatting and anticipating smashing plates later on in the night.

Seafood seems to be very popular and I particularly enjoy the Grilled Octopus ($23, above photo) with capsicum salsa and oregano olive oil. The octopus is thick with slightly crunchy bits and has subtle smokey flavours. Love it. 

A regular crowd favourite is the Haloumi ($16) which is drizzled with olive oil. I have to say, I have a weakness for this salty fried cheese. It's soft, it's salty, it's cheesey. What more could you want.





For mains that we share, the highlight has to be the signature Cooked lamb shoulder with roasted potatoes and lemon oregano lamb ($32). It's so tender and melt in your mouth. 

Andy, one of my foodie friends is eager to try the Moussaka which is layered potatoes, eggplant, zucchini with tomato sauce and topped with bechamel. I have to say, I haven't had many Moussakas in my time but Andy says it's a decent one at Platia Greek Taverna. I personally really like this dish and you could easily forget that it's a vegetarian dish.

We also share the Chicken Santorini ($31) which are oven baked chicken kiev stuffed with spinach, feta, peppers served with mash and a creamy white sauce. I'm starting to get very full.




MW loves the the lamb/chicken souvlaki which is grilled lamb that is served with salad, tzatziki, pita bread and chips. I'm basically too full by this stage but I can't resist sneaking in a few chips. 



It's time to have a bit of fun now. This is my favourite shot of some of the locals enjoying the plate smashing and dancing like there's no tomorrow. So much fun and atmosphere.

Look at the plate carnage below.. lol




If you have room for dessert, I suggest you order the Dessert tasting plate ($28) has galaktoboureko, baklava, poached pear, strawberries platia. I basically consume a bit of fairyfloss and ice cream and leave the rest of the sweet heaven to the rest of the table.

Summary: A big restaurant with a lot of atmosphere. I highly recommend finding out when their monthly zorba plate smashing night is and booking a table. I highly recommend and my favourites are the grilled octopus, haloumi, moussaka and the lamb. Hard to go wrong really!!!

Price: $30ish for mains

Location: Top Ryde Shops, the forum 109 Blaxland rd, Ryde


Opening Hours: Mon - Sun, 11:30am to 3:30pm, 5:30pm to 9:30pm



Weekend Food Escapes were guests of Around the clock foodie and dined as guests of Platia Greek Taverna. All words, photos and opinions are my own.

Platia Greek Taverna Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    carpet steam cleaning Bondi
    End of lease cleaning Mascot
    End of lease cleaning Pyrmont
    End of lease cleaning Glebe

    ReplyDelete