Monday 5 June 2017

Mappen, Sydney CBD

With the cooler weather, I am seriously craving udon and this has meant repeat visits to Mappen. This place is cheap as chips and is very popular with students however I go there anyway. 
I like to head there just before 12pm so I can easily get a seat. 

How it works is that you line up in a queue and order your base main meal. Then you move along and choose any additional sides like fried tempura prawns, takoyaki or tempura fish. It's self service here.
...Then you pay. 
...Then you can find a seat. Very efficient. 

The seats are small so if you are a bigger person, you may struggle.

Recently I have been ordering a regular plain udon (Kake Plain regular) for $3.90. This means you get a nice dose of udon noodles in a broth. There's complimentary spring onion and tempura flakes at the end of the queue. You also add your own grinded chilli on top as well. It's a decent portion.


I've also been experimenting with what additional sides I like. I would recommend ordering the pumpkin tempura which is the large nest of fried things above. It adds a nice crunch and texture to the udon. 

I also personally like seaweed and kim chi as a refreshing cleanser to the meal as well. So once all the additionals are added on the meal is $8 or $9. The only side I don't like is the potato salad which was a bit sour. I was expecting a more creamy and pleasant taste.


Summary: For a super cheap meal, I highly recommend ordering Udon at Mappen. Get there early for a seat and slurp your way to udon satisfaction. 

Price: $8ish for udon with additional toppings


Location: 11/537-551 George St, Sydney


Opening Hours: 11am to 10pm daily



Weekend Food Escapes dined anonymously and independently paid for this meal. All words, photos and opinions are my own.
Mappen Noodle Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    Spring cleaning Western Suburbs
    End of lease cleaning Alexandria
    End of lease cleaning Darlinghurst

    ReplyDelete