Wednesday 9 November 2016

Gou Sushi, Surry Hills

Gou Sushi has a really good location, right near Central Station on the Surry Hills side but I'm surprised I've never been there.



MW and I enter this little Japanese restaurant with no expectations. By the time we leave, we're both very impressed. There is a sushi train menu but I suggest you give this a miss and go straight to the menu. They also have different specials as well on the boards that change regularly.

We start off with the very artful Mix Sushi Plate (8pc. for $15.80) which is described as tuna, scallop, salmon, crystal bay prawn, whitefish, eel, beef and egg on the menu. However this does not do this dish justice!! Each nigiri is delicious and beautifully presented with the tiniest detail. Gorgeous and worthy of being in a museum. HIGHLY recommend. MW loves this.




I also really love the special which was the King Fish Carpaccio ($14.80). It's really tasty as the King Fish is really fresh and zesty. The lemon is so thinly sliced so you can eat it! It looks like a small portion however it's actually a pile of kingfish so it's a decent portion. 

From time to time, Gou Sushi also has a Turban Shell. I've never seen or heard of this before. The actual shell is served up with miso soup, mushrooms and tofu. It's also actually served up with the Turban Shell sashimi which tastes like a thicker fish. It's always good to try something different. Ask the chef if they have any Turban Shells next time you come in. MW is allergic so I eat all of this dish.



MW instead loads up on the beef tataki ($12.80) which is the seared beef, red onion, seasonal vegetables, yuzu koshu and ponzu dressing. MW is pretty happy with this dish and says it's quite a generous portion for the price point. 

For non-shell fish eaters (like MW), I highly recommend the Spicy Kaarage chicken ($9.80). It's a deep fried chicken (pan-fried) with chilli and garlic sauce. It's not quite the crispy korean fried-like skin that I'm typically used to but this seems like a healthier version. It's really tasty and MW highly recommends this.



The sashimi set ($16.80) is a nice little basket of sashimi recommended for 2 people. It's got seared tuna, kingfish, salmon and scallop.

On this particular night, there was a special of Salmon with Green Soba Noodles and egg ($12.80). It's a cold noodle dish but hard to resist as I love noodles. 





For dessert, MW and I share the cheese spring roll ($5) which is spring roll of cream cheese, mascarpone and red bean. It's served with a side of your choice of matcha ice cream or black sesame. I opt for black sesame

Summary: I really enjoyed my experience at Gou Sushi.  My fave dishes were the mixed sushi plate, the spicy chicken kaarage and the kingfish carpaccio. I think it's quite reasonably priced but the quality is really good.  I suggest ordering off the menu rather than checking out the sushi train.

Price: I over ordered but I think the average person would spend $40ish

Location: 30-34 Chalmers St, Surry Hills, right outside Central Station.


Opening Hours: Mon-Fri, 11:30am to 3pm for lunch, 5:30pm to 9pm for dinner. Saturday 11:30am to 9pm. Closed Sunday.




Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of Ompty. All words, opinions and photos are my own.
Gou Sushi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment