Tuesday 5 April 2016

Zebra Green Cafe, Bondi Junction


WHO loves a bit of smoked salmon for brunch? Zebra Green Cafe is the kid new on the block in Bondi Junction and is a nice escape from the chaotic and busy area. 



Zebra Green Cafe has a quiet shop front but I suggest you head back to the outside seating area in the back for some sunshine. All the locals sit out the back and it creates a nice atmosphere.They also have a retro bar area upstairs. I have brunch with a mix of breakfast and lunch dishes to satisfy my hunger.


My regular favourite orders are the hot chocolate ($3.5) and chai latte ($4.5). I quickly get distracted though once I see the salted caramel shake ($6.50, below).



The salted caramel shake (below) has a nice dose of caramel, salt and grinded up caramel popcorn in the drink and is also topped with caramel popcorn. I love caramel popcorn!!! It's something a bit different and I'd definitely recommend this shake!



For those who prefer a fruity shake, there's the raspberry mango ($6.50, below) shake.




The staff recommend the Brekkie Board (above, $19.50) which has sumac fried eggs, ciabatta bread, smoked salmon, beetroot, smokey dip and a guac salad.  The bread's quite nice and the combination of the fried sumac egg, beetroot dip is delicious. The salmon is gorgeous! This is great if you feel like grazing. The guac and salad is nice but I think I prefer just plain avo.



If you're looking for something heavier, I'd order the poached eggs with corn fritter balls on sourdough bread and smashed avo/feta spread with a special relish is quite nice (below, $14.50). The menu says corn fritters but they're more like balls. The relish is amazing and is part of the sauce range that is part of the professional Zebra Green sauce brand. Try some of the relish on the corn fritters - amazing! 




I cut up the corn fritter ball and the poached egg (above) but this is what it looks like beforehand (below).




I order some lunch menu items as well including the thrice fried chips ($8.00 above). It comes with three sauces so I suggest you request my favourite sauce - which is habernero, chilli and lime sauce. It's not too spicy but will give you a nice kick. It matches the crispy chips. I also like the burger relish (I think this is the same relish in the corn fritter dish above).



The staff tell me that you can also buy the sauces to take home for $7.50 per bottle or from a bunch of other supplies such as Vic's Meat Market. I notice on the bottle that it's got the creator's/owner of Zebra Green (Shane Lurie) mobile number on there. I wonder if he gets lots of calls about the sauces. Maybe he gets really saucey calls!! The smokey chipotle BBQ and baste is also the base for the chicken wings.






Yes, I mentioned chicken wings ($12.00 for 4 wings, above). Do you like the really saucy smokey flavoured chicken wings? They were really tasty. The chicken was nice and moist and that sauce... wow. I love a saucy chicken wing. Get ready to get your hands dirty. The chips are a nice side to the wings to soak up some of the sauce. The smokey flavours are subtle.




If you are looking for a main then their signature is the schnitz ($18.00) which has been marinated then crumbed which is served with their thrice cooked chips and a small pear walnut salad. It's crunchy and the chicken within is moist.





For people who are a bit more health conscious, there are salad options. I check out the watermelon, beetroot, apple, feta and walnut salad ($13.50, below). Upon reflection I should have suggested the dressing on the side but that's my personal preference so the salad is not drenched in the dressing. I like the crunchiness of the walnut with the fresh watermelon.



If you're not in the mood for lunch, definitely stop by for a piece of home made cake and home made ice cream for $8.50. Otherwise you can take away a slice for $5 (with no ice cream). They change the ice creams each week and I got to check out the fairy bread ice cream with the carrot cake (above) and also the peanut brittle (like a snickers cake, below). My fave is the carrot cake but that snickers cake goes really well with the fairy bread ice cream! Both are quite moist and buttery.




Overall, I had a nice brunch at Zebra Green Cafe. It's a nice spot for brunch. I'd recommend ordering some of the breakfast and lunch meals in one to get the best of both worlds. You can't go wrong with thrice fried chips with those delicious sauces.That salted caramel shake is amazing so definitely drop by for that one and ask for a recommendation on the cake!

When I was there, there was a group of girls who had bottles of champagne with brunch. I thought - they have the right idea and that's the life! It's a nice quiet and relaxed space compared to the chaotic main strip of Bondi Junction.

Location: 82 Bronte Rd, Bondi Junction NSW 

Opening Hours: Wed to Sunday 11am to 9:30pm



Zebra Green Cafe & Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Weekendfoodescapes dined as a guest of Zebra Green Cafe. All photos, opinions and words are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.
    End of lease cleaning
    End of lease cleaning Sydney
    Spring cleaning North Manly

    ReplyDelete