Monday 30 May 2016

Dainty Dumpling House, Rhodes


After reading another review on Zomato, I decided to check out Dainty Dumpling House in Rhodes. 
Dainty Dumpling house is located near Rhodes Station and is outside of the shopping centre. 

There are a few people around as I go for lunch on a Saturday at about 12pm. It's a small restaurant but it's quite nice in decore (above).

The menu has all of your typical Shanghai Chinese favourites over two pages.



For $14.80, I order the duck roti which has pieces of Peking duck, cucumber and spring onion wrapped in a fried roti bread and is served with a side of hoi sin sauce. It's quite nice if you are a fan of duck. This dish falls apart easily so see how you go with the chop sticks!




I also order the hand made noodles with shredded pork, vegetables and black fungus ($11.80). The noodles are great and go down well with the rest of the dumplings. The portion is not as generous as other eateries so perhaps buy two if you are sharing.

The highlight of Dainty Dumpling house are the dumplings. The bright green vegetarian dumplings were surprisingly amazing! It's hard to wow with a vegetarian dish sometimes but I loved it (top photo).


The spicy pork dumplings ($6.80 for 6 pieces) has a sweet chilli sauce. The flavour combination seems to be popular at Din Tai Fung. The dumplings are very tasty however they don't rival Din Tai Fung. I'd recommend this dish!

I am looking for amazing xiao long bao ($8.80) with thin skin, flavoursome pork portions inside and a gentle burst of soup as I bite into it. And you know what! Dainty Dumplings deliver the goods with the Xiao Long Bao. I don't know if they rival the best in Sydney but it would definitely be a front runner for best xiao long bao in the area.

We move onto desserts.I order the red bean pancake which is very oily and full of a sweet red bean taste. It's not bad but a bit oily for my liking. My friends think I'm a snob and they like it (lol).




I also try the taro scrolls which were $9.80 for 6. The photo was of the top of the scrolls so I think I was expecting something different. These would be better described as taro rolls. There is a sweet purple taro filling which is encased in a fried thick batter. I quite like this and I would recommend it.

Highlights: The highlights have to be the dumplings. The Xiao Long Bao soup dumplings were great. I'd also highly recommend the bright green vegetarian dumplings.

Suggested Improvements: A more generous portion of noodles would make me become a regular but I am a noodle lover!! 


Price: $20-30 per person

Location: 6/7 Rider Blvd, Rhodes (near the train station)


Opening Hours: 11am to 9pm daily


Summary: Lisa's Rating: Check it out if you love dumplings and noodles
Food: 7.5/10 for casual dining 
Customer Service: 7/10
Atmosphere: 7/10
Value: 7/10

Dainty Dumpling House Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment: