Monday 9 May 2016

Shanghai Night, Ashfield

WOWZERFOR VALUE, TASTY NOODLES & DUMPLINGS. For an authentic and tasty meal, I go to Shanghai Night in Ashfield for a feast.


Shanghai Night can be a popular haunt. It gets filled up by many families and locals so I try to get there a bit earlier before 12. It's known for it's dumplings and hand made noodles so you can expect a bit of a carb fest at Shanghai Night.  The dishes are reasonably priced so I suggest you order a bunch and share in good company. There's complimentary tea as well.

I start off with the handmade noodles with pork ($8.80, top photo).  It's very saucy and served with a bunch of greens and little bits of chicken. Once you add a bit of chilli, you are in heaven. Total foodgasm. There's just something really addictive about slurping down these noodles. I love the slightly odd shaped noodles. It's just simply divine. A definite recommend!


I order a regular sized portion of pork and chive dumplings (Serving of 12) for $8.80. It arrives in a basket. They're not too oily and I easily eat a few dumplings with chilli, soy and vinegar. It's delicious.




My friend wants to try something random so he orders the sweet and sour tofu soup ($5ish, above). It comes in a small bowl so this dish is not really meant to be shared, it basically taste as it's described a mix of sweet and sour with shreaded tofu. 








For some texture, I also order the shallot pancake ($5.80, above). It's crunch bits of fried bread with shallots. I like it because it provides a crunchy texture to contrast against the noodles and dumplings. It's not the most sexy looking dish but still does the job.

The Xiao Long Bao ($7.80, below) has really thick skin and lots of meat with less soup when you bite into it. I prefer Din Tai Fung's XLB but it's a dish I still really enjoy because I love the combination of the flavours with the soy, vinegar and chilli.

Overall, I really enjoy my experience at Shanghai Night and will definitely be back when I'm after a cheap and cheerful meal among good company.  I love it.

Prices: $10-$20 per person

Location: 275 Liverpool St, Ashfield



Summary: Lisa's Rating: 
Food: 10/10 for cheap and cheerful casual dining
Customer Service: 8/10
Atmosphere: 7/10
Value: 10/10










Shanghai Night Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment