Sunday 22 December 2019

Taste on the Rocks, Miller's Point, Sydney


4/5 I recently checked out new restaurant Taste on the Rocks which is located in Miller's point. I walk up the stairs to level 1 where Taste on the Rocks is located. I am joined by a group of my fellow foodies which is always fun. Over the years I've really enjoyed getting to know my foodie friends. We are sitting in a round table which is perfect for a Chinese Banquet.


Taste on the Rocks is a new venue to the area and the owner also has other popular restaurants in Hurstville. We kick off the meal with a glass of red wine. 

There are some interesting names to the dishes including this "Delicious Gluten with Fungi" and true to its name it's delicious. The gluten is of spongy texture and I am guessing this is part of the bean curd family. I recommend ordering this dish.


There's also this Hot Sichaun Pepper Calamari which has lightly crumbed calamari with lots of very visible chilli. The calamari is really flavoursome and has a nice level of heat - it's not too spicy for me. The crumb is very light so it's mostly the soft, chewy calamari texture that I taste. I really enjoy this dish along with a mouthful of wine.



I am also treated to Pekking duck pancake,  the staff delicately and meticulously cut off pieces of duck, add this into the smooth savoury pancake shell, with hoi sin sauce, cucumber and shallot.  It's delicious and I'm thankful for such high quality food in Sydney.



My favourite dish of the banquet is the Singaporean Mud Crab. We get the pleasure of seeing the mud crab live before it's cooked. The Singaporean sauce is absolutely delicious and I soak up the sauce with the baos. The sauce is actually quite mild but has a mixture of spices to bring the flavours to life. I use the utensils to break open the crab. The Mud Crab flesh is sweet and buttery. I smack my lips and enjoy the flavours.  Yum!




Taste on the Rocks also had this Braised King Prawns in a sweet and sour based sauce with crispy rice. When the dish came out, the crispy rice looked like fried chicken to me! The prawn in sauce is poured over the crispy rice which slightly softens the crispy rice. Flavour wise, this was not one of my favourite dishes as the rice was quite too crunchy for me and I think I would have preferred white steamed rice with the sweet and sour prawns.


I also tasted this Salted Duck Egg Yolk Pumpkin. Have you had salted duck egg before? It's this golden, earthy and salty flavour and the pumpkin is soft and sweet on the inside. This dish is quite enjoyable to eat, I would have wanted a little more crunch but all the flavours were there to enjoy.

Also I tried the Deep Fried Chicken in Miracle sauce which is this bright horse radish based sauce. There was a bit of heat in the sauce which makes the chicken have a bit of a kick. I liked this dish.





Summary: Overall, I enjoy the variety of dishes and flavours at Taste on the Rocks. My favourite dishes were the Singaporean Mud Crab, the Sichaun Calamari and Delicious Gluten with Fungi. Check it out with some friends - these dishes are best shared.

Price: Most dishes are $25-$38


Location: Level 1, 33-35 Kent St, Millers Point


Opening Hours: 
Closed Monday
Tuesday to Friday 12pm to 3pm, 5:30pm to 10pm
Saturday and Sunday 5:30pm to 10pm

Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.

Taste on the Rocks Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment