Monday 29 July 2019

Visit the South Coast! Berry - Part 1



I recently had the pleasure of visiting the Shoalhaven region on the South Coast of NSW. It's been a few years since I've been to Berry but I am eager to revisit as I have fond memories. It's also great timing as the South Coast Food  and Wine Festival is on September 14-15th 2019 and this trip gave me a sample of what great regional food and wine exists in Shoalhaven.

I am first and foremost enticed by memories of the Famous Berry Donut Van. Naturally this is our first stop in Berry. For those who haven't been, the Famous Berry Donut makes all their donuts fresh so this may take additional time and some patience is required.

It's a literally a van that sits on a small lot with chairs and tables. You will often see large crowds on the weekend from the locals and also the tourists who are willing to wait for their hot and fresh donuts.




I look at the menu below. The Famous Berry Donut Van has a simple menu with donuts, hot dogs, pies and sausage rolls. As I'm in a group of people, we decide on 6 cinnamon donuts. 6 donuts will cost $11.50 and we are also enticed by drinks.  There's a simple drinks menu with coffee, tea or a sneaky milkshake.




You can't go past the O.G cinnamon donut. It's served hot, covered in cinnamon and sugar. I always cherish that very first bite. The donut has a slight crunch on the outside and is soft and fluffy on the inside. It's perfect. Before I know it, I've eaten the whole donut. I'm tempted to eat multiple donuts but I want to spare the stomach space for other great Shoalhaven food. I highly recommend. What nostalgia!!

I sip on my chai latte ($4) and let the creamy vanilla tones roll over my tongue. I'm on a small sugar rush and I'm loving it. 





Matt on the other hand is enticed by the Donut and Cream ($7). The menu describes this as an original cinnamon donut cut in half with a scoop of serendity's vanilla ice cream. The donut is not cut in half when he gets his donut and cream but sits on top of the ice cream. Matt isn't bothered at all.


The vanilla ice cream is a bit melted from the heat of the donut. That doesn't last long as Matt devours the cinnamon donut and then eats the ice cream afterwards. The sweetness of the vanilla ice cream is a natural match with the cinnamon donut.




There's a small area to sit down to enjoy your donuts and coffee and many people take away. Why not go for a small walk and check out the charming main street of Berry?

Berry has a country style charm mixed in with modern chic homewares and gourmet produce. I let go of the hectic, fast paced, craziness that I experience in every day Sydney and stop to immerse myself into the main strip.



I found it amusing with the hanging chairs outside the "This Old House" which is an arts, craft and furniture store. They also hold workshops if that takes your fancy. There's also the Great Southern Hotel pub which is decorated with rustic charm.







I continue strolling down the street. I quite like looking at the contrast of some of their modern cafes mixed in with their older buildings with old signs and everyone is really friendly as I walk around.  Matt and I make a mental note to come back to spend more time looking at some of the streets that are just off the main street.



There's more to come on the Shoalhaven region! I can't wait to share more from the region. Watch out for part 2.

There's so much that i've uncovered that I never knew about. Let me share some of the gems with you. 






Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own. Thanks Destination NSW 

Famous Berry Donut Van Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. The Balti House The Best Indian Restaurant in Adelaide Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank for your time of this wonderful blog read about cleaning!!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and subscribed to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!
    End of lease cleaning Caddens
    End of lease cleaning Burraneer
    End of lease cleaning Bungarribee

    ReplyDelete