Wednesday 23 July 2014

Taste of Shanghai, Eastwood

You just get those Xiao Long Bao cravings. Those bursting soup filled dumplings that just dance on your tongue along with the vinegar and soy sauce. Wow.  You sip hot jasmine tea and start to devour other delicious chinese treats.

I love it.  Taste of Shanghai for me is a great place for dumplings.  It can be cheap and cheerful in terms of the dumplings and noodle dishes. But if you want to be a bit posh, you can also go all out and order their more dear dishes.  

I went cheap and cheerful once again because I love the dumplings. 

Xiao Long Bao - Soup filled noodles $9.80
 The Xiao Long Bao ($9.80) is very consistent which is a surprise for a chain store. Freshly steamed dumplings dipped in a bit of vinegar (2/3) and soy (1/3) with a lashing of chili sauce that bursts soup in your mouth is an experience. It's amazing! Aren't we lucky that all these restaurants have popped up across Sydney!

I love the taste of Shanghai.  I am a regular here at the Eastwood store.  Another one of my favourite dishes is the dumplings in chili oil ($9.80). The chili oil is light and slightly sweet. It's not a solid strong chili. The skin of these dumplings are thicker than the Xiao Long Bao and can be a bit slippery but I love it!
Pork Dumplings in a chili oil - $9.80
For the first time at Taste of Shanghai I also tried the Peking Pork with pancakes. I rolled the pork into the pancake and added the cucumber.  The pork was very rich in its marinade so if you were without cucumber then it would have been a bit overpowering.  The pancake was soft, thin and a nice hand size. I'm not sure I would order this again given they have a very extensive menu.

I was very tempted to order the buns with sweet condensed milk. The buns taste like donuts but I behaved on this ocassion. Sometimes there is a line but if you're only in a duo then the line can move quickly.

Prices: About $20 per person.

Location: 200 Rowe St, Eastwood

Peking Style Pork, with Cucumber $17.80 and pancakes which are an additional $3.50

Taste of Shanghai on Urbanspoon

1 comment: