Saturday 10 October 2015

Waqu, Crows Nest - CLOSED NOW

Waqu is located in Crows Nest on the very busy Pacific Highway. It's not until you walk into the very dimly lit restaurant that you escape the noise and chaos of the main road. There are two dining areas, one is for fine dining with a set degustation and Kappo dining which consists of Japanese tapas.

I love the relaxing decore and friendly staff at Waqu. I have tried their lovely degustation previously and thought I'd give the Kappo Japanese Tapas a try. I started off with the Sashimi Platter (top, above photo, 16 pieces for $32). The sashimi is fresh and always a Japanese favourite with ocean trout, king fish, bonito and seared tuna.

I also tried another crowd favourite - the Japanese Fried Chicken ($12, below). It's quite nice with a light crispy skin and juicy in the middle although the portion consists of only 4 small pieces. I think it's a pricey for what you get.



I also ordered the Grilled Chicken Thigh ($12, above), marinated in yakitori sauce. It was quite juicy and flavoursome. I'd recommend ordering this dish.  I also ordered the Jack’s Creek Tajima Wagyu, Sirloin (200g) 45 F3 Tajima bloodline, BMS 6+, grain fed 400 days ($45, below). This was a fabulous piece of meat that was cooked perfectly with 5 different seasoning options. It was delicious but perhaps my palette wasn't there to appreciate this meat v.s the price.


A side of potato wedges will set you back $8 (below). They weren't quite wedges but baked potatoes with a creamy sauce. 




The desserts were amazing, demonstrating lots of technique, texture and taste. The Gâteau au Chocolat chocolate mousse, black pepper vanilla ice cream was very tasty ($12, below). I'd recommend this dessert.


Overall, I had a nice experience. All the food was delicious and perfectly cooked. The staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was a bit posh but relaxed at the same time. The portions were small though so you end up ordering more tapas so it quickly adds up in price though so it was in the similar price range of the 6 course degustation.

I'd probably prefer the degustation as many of the Kappo style dishes can be found on more casual Japanese eateries at a more reasonable price but equivalent quality of taste.

Summary: Lisa's Rating: 
Food: 7/10 for posh dining
Customer Service: 8/10
Atmosphere: 7/10
Value: 6/10 for Kappo dining



Click to add a blog post for Waqu on Zomato

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.

    BBQ cleaning Bondi
    End of lease cleaning Sydney
    End of lease cleaning

    ReplyDelete