Friday 6 September 2019

Kusuka Cafe, Sydney CBD



On this particular Saturday, my foodie friend Annie from @Therandomfoodie invited me to join her at Kusuka Cafe on Sussex st. Kusuka cafe is a Modern Indonesian venue that is known for fancy mi-goreng. It's a relative small venue that's quite busy so we come at 2pm for a late lunch. There's people flowing in and out of the cafe for coffees.

The drinks menu is more extensive than the food menu! I know that Kusuka is known for their fancy Mi-goreng dishes but there are also a number of other Modern Indonesian dishes.



Annie and I start chatting away about life - friends, work, men and of course - FOOD! She orders the Genesis ($12) which is the galaxy drink in a jar. She gives it a nice shake to mix up the pretty purple, pink, and cosmic colours in the jar. I take a sneaky sip and it's quite a fruity drink. I probe more into Annie's life as we haven't caught up for some time.

I order the Disco Princess ($8) which arrives in three containers. I am told that this drink is a colour changing disco mocktail with mango and butterfly pea tea. I pour the middle container into the purple drink and am told I can control the sweetness of the drink with the smaller mango shot. I pour most of it in for a big sweet hit of a drink. I just need some vodka (just kidding).






One of the new items on the menu is the Yum Kwetiau ($16) which has wagyu beef brisket, served with flat rice noodles, soup or dry with a tangy sour flavour kick. We go for the dry noodles. I love the tangy sour taste with the flat rice noodles and both Annie and I comment on the crunchy fried croutons that add that nice crunch to the dish. This is my favourite dish of the day.





Next up is the very popular Krispy Rendang ($16) has fried chicken, omelette, hash  brown, homemade rendang sauce on rice or mi goreng. It's popular because you can also make it a bear for $4 and bring back some fun into lunch. The bear made from rice looks so cute, but we ultimately but a fork through it's head and drown it in curry sauce. Below the bear's blanket is where you will find the fried chicken. The Rendang sauce is separate so you can pour the sauce to your heart's content on whatever area you want.






We could not leave Kusuka Cafe without ordering a MiGoreng dish so we order their signature - the Superbowl ($20) with pork belly, sausages, corned beef, melted cheese, chilli matah and mi-goreng. The Mi-goreng is super flavoursome with ginger, chilli and bold Indonesian flavours. I also enjoy the pieces of pork belly and the cucumber makes for some refreshment from the spicy noodles.










For Dessert, Annie and I have some fun with the  Ropang Jupiter which has ropang (toast) with purple sweet potato and taro syrup, vanilla ice cream, pink latte jam. This also has some cookie crumb for textural contrast. This Asian version of French Toast is very alluring as I love taro flavours.

Summary: Overall I enjoyed my lunch at Kusuka Cafe, my favourite dish was the Yum Kwetiau as it had beautiful tangy and chilli flavours with a nice contrast of crunch to those slurpy rice noodles.

Price: Most dishes are


Location: $16-20


Opening Hours: 

Monday to Friday 7:30am to 9:30pm
Saturday 8:30am to 9:30pm
Closed Sunday


Weekend Food Escapes dined as a guest of my fellow Food Instagram friend @therandomfoodie

Kusuka On Sussex Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

5 comments:


  1. Fast cash offer for you today at just 2% interest rate, both long and short term cash of all amounts and currencies, no collateral required. We give out from a minimum range of $2000 to a maximum of $20 million.We are certified and your privacy is 100% safe with us Apply now for your instant approval and transfer approval process takes just 3 hours. contact us now
    I'll advise you can contact us via email at
    Contact Us At : abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo. best chocolate recipe blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly visit fast food restaurant with my family our every weekend are very fantastic.
    Food & Drink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.
    End of lease cleaning Canley Vale
    End of lease cleaning Caddens
    End of lease cleaning Burraneer

    ReplyDelete