Tuesday 3 September 2019

Sydney Vegan Tours Part 1: Soul Burger and Perfection Potion


I am a meat eater but I do go through periods where I like to eat vegetarian food for months at a time. So when the opportunity came up to check out a Sydney Vegan Tour, I thought! Hell yes. Part 1 of the blog includes a visit to Soul Burger and also Perfection Potion.
It's been some time since I've ventured out to Newtown so I was eager to check out where the Sydney Vegan Tour would take me.  The tour is $79 per person. The tour starts at Newtown Station where we are greeted by our tour lead - Anna.

Anna kindly hands out a bag for each pair. There's information and some goodies to keep. The bag is also handy if you want to buy anything on the tour.



Our first stop is at Perfect Potion. Anna talks about how beyond vegan food, there's also vegan products to consider. Perfect Portion is full of vegan products including sprays, moisturiser, creams and teas.




I walk around and spray some testers so I can smell the different scents. I like how this triggers the senses. I also sample some tea.




It's now to time to move on and we make a move by foot. We take a small walk and check out some of the street art in Newtown and we continue walking down King st onto our next stop. 



We sit down and Anna organises the food that we will be trying at Soul Burger. This is the first time we sit down and it's a good opportunity to have a chat. I ask Anna if she is a vegan and what made her decide to be one. She is friendly and very open about why and what kind of food she enjoys eating.

I also do the same with the others on the tour group out of curiousity. I explain that I grew up as a Buddhist and a vegetarian. I also find it fascinating as I listened to the others talk about their lives. There's one lady who is a vegan but cooks three different meals as her husband is a meat eater and her child is particular about their food.




I have visited Soul Burger a few years ago in Randwick but it's brand new to some of the people in the group. On this particular occasion, we are trying a few dishes. 

There's the Cheesey Bacon Fries $8 There are loaded french fries with cheese sauce and the plant-based bacon bits. There's also the Fried Drum Sticks ($8). You have to be careful as there's a stick in the middle so beware! We try two different drum sticks including the Herbed drum stick and also the Tangy Seasoning.

I really love hot chips so I get straight into the cheesey bacon fries. The bacon bits don't quite have the bacon texture but there's definitely the flavour there along with the rich cheesey sauce.  Matt gets into the drum sticks and he says to me in surprise that the drum stick is delicious and tastes almost like chicken. So far, I'm really enjoying the Sydney Vegan Tour in Newtown. Stay tuned for Part 2 of my blog series.





Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.
Soul Burger Newtown Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. Cleaners from a trustworthy relationship to do your move out cleaning is an ideal decision and now you don't have to worry over your home amazing and End of lease cleaning Sydney | Bond back cleaning | Bond clean stunning. I appreciated it so much and thank you for a marvelous article, it helped me a ton.

    ReplyDelete