Sunday 8 September 2019

Din Tai Fung, Gateway Circular Quay


I have many friends or co-workers who love dumplings. From time to time, I have dumpling dates with my friends. It's just hard to find the time - I head to Din Tai Fung at Gateway for one of my dumpling dates. From the few reviews I've read, this particular Din Tai Fung has lower ratings than other venues.

I head with a work colleague to Din Tai Fung at Gateway. I know it gets incredibly busy so I head there early at 11:50am. Even though I get there early, there are still already people there but luckily there's two tables left so I make a beeline for the table.


I choose tick off all the dishes on the ordering menu at the cashier and pick up my buzzer. There's no table service at the "express" Din Tai Fung's that are often located in or near food courts.

We order the Spicy Vegetable Wontons with Dry Noodles. There are 4 spicy wontons and noodles that sit in a mostly spicy and sweet sauce. I love the spicy Din Tai Fung sauce, I always order something off the menu with this sauce. It's quite addictive. It's best to mix up all the noodles and dumplings into the sauce so there's an even coat of flavour. We devour this dish. It's delicious and I highly recommend.


I usually don't order these dumpling dishes as they are not my favourite but my colleague wants to order the Prawn Jiao Zi (4pcs) and the vegetarian Jiao Zi (4pcs). They are both steamed in the bamboo baskets. The Vegetarian Jiao Zi has a thin skin and has filled with mostly green spinach which has been condensed, it's mostly plain in flavour but would be a more healthy option. The prawn Jiao Zi has a bit more flavour but I prefer just eating the xiao long bao (which we also order but I forget to take a photo).  My recommendation is to just order the xiao long bao and if you want to be naughty then order the deep fried prawn wontons.


Summary: Overall, I had a pleasant meal at Din Tai Fung at Gateway. The atmosphere is affected by it being in the food court but it's a good way to get a quick bite to eat. The flavours are unbeatable and I'll be back even if it's not as nice as other venues in decore. The staff are also a bit slower to clean up tables but if you get there early then it's not an issue.

Price: $20-$25 per person


Location: 1 Macquarie Place ,Sydney in Gateway Food Court


Opening Hours: 

Monday to Saturday 11am to 3pm
Sunday 11am to 3:30pm



Din Tai Fung Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment