Monday 9 September 2019

Vegan Tour Part 3: Green Gourmet Kitchen, Newtown


So this whole plant based food movement is growing on me. I am on a Sydney Vegan Tour exploring all there is vegan in Newtown with Tour leader Anna. Have you seen part 1 and 2 of my tourAs we are walking to Green Gourmet, Anna our tour leader looks slightly excited as she tells us she loves dumplings and to save some stomach room for the next stop. 

I almost regret eating too much at our last stop because I am also a big lover of dumplings. Matt still has lots of stomach room on the other hand.

We are pretty comfortable with each other on the group by this time. We sit down and chat about what's on for the rest of the week. Anna also tells us about their other Sydney Vegan Tour which is through Glebe and into the Sydney CBD.


I see a nearby table with dumplings and am immediately with envy. It's not long until the dumplings arrive at our table which include the "Not Pork" Pork buns and the spinach dumplings. I taste the "Not Pork" pork buns really enjoy the wholemeal bun. WOW! It's probably my favourite dish on the tour. It's really tasty. I eat a few bites and give the rest to Matt as I'm so full from part 1 and 2 of the tour. 

I also have a bite of the spinach dumplings which have a really silky and soft translucent skin. I smoother a bit of chilli on my second bite. These are delish.





Next up are the Turnip cakes (also known as Radish Cakes). Now I must admit, I am normally not a fan of these Turnip Cakes. I think it's something about the texture and flavour of flour and radish. The other pair of girls are also quite full but still continue to eat these Turnip cakes. Anna loves the turnip cakes so I encourage her to eat my portion.








We also get a freebie from the owner who brings up a deep fried turnip cake and also a deep fried dumpling.  I am too full to eat these dishes!


For Matt, the highlight is actually the "not chicken" chicken dish. The soy plant based chicken pieces are incredible flavoursome and are enjoyable to eat. They mimic the texture and flavour of chicken quite well. I think that my brother would love this dish if he hasn't already ordered it. I would recommend this dish.



For dessert, we are treated to this "gay time" mousse cake. It's got a nice chocolate and caramel topping with a mousse body. Matt eats my portion, his own and a spare that the venue have given us.

I ask my brother if he's ever been to Green Gourmet Kitchen in Newtown and he gives me the impression that it's an institution for the vegetarians and vegans. I must be living under a rock to not have heard of this place because as I walk outside, I see a sign that says this is their 21st birthday! My workmate tells me they have another venue in the city.

Overall, I have really enjoyed the Green Gourmet Kitchen stop at the Sydney Vegan Tour. We have one final stop before the tour is over. Stay tuned for the final part !






Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.
Green Gourmet Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment