Thursday 31 October 2019

East Ocean, Haymarket


Did you know that East Ocean has had a significant renovation and are now under new management? I check it out recently with my foodie friend Jason and my hubby for dinner. So how was my experience?


We are in for a real feast and to prepare the tastebuds, we order a round of drinks. I sip on the corona which is a lighter flavour and look forward to the meal.

I am told you can check them out for yum cha where they have introduced ipad technology for ordering - which means quicker and fresher access to food or you could go a la cart. I will have to also come back for yum cha. 

The staff give me a little sample of yum cha. I am treated to a number of dumplings.  My favourite are the seafood dumplings filled with prawns, scallop, bamboo shoots with a sesame oil flavour and the are mushroom vegetarian dumplings. The dumplings are freshly steamed with a soft, translucent skin. The filling is made of fresh seafood produce and I enhance the flavours by dipping the dumplings into chilli sauce.






Secondly we share a number of entrees including Duck San Choy Bao ($14.80 for 2 people). For those who are unfamiliar with San Choy Bao, this is a dish where there are lettuce leaves that act as cups to a finely chopped mixture of duck, vegetables with garlic and soy sauce. The mixture is very flavoursome and is often a staple for many chinese banquets. I enjoy this dish. Matt devours this dish as he is allergic to shell fish and is hungry.





For a bit of something different, I also order the Shredded Potato in a hot and sour sauce ($9).  A few years ago when Matt and I travelled to China, we often had authentic dishes like shredded potato. This version at East Ocean is more eloquent and has mild flavours of a sauce. Matt comments that the sauce isn't particularly spicy. This dish will add textural contrast to other dishes.



I also order the Chilli Beef Shank ($15) with chilli sauce. This dish is deceivingly delicious. You would naturally think the focus would be on the beef shank, but it's the chilli oil that I find really brings the dish together. The chilli oil is simply delicious and addictive. I also enjoy the cucumber that brings a cool finish to the dish.





I also share the Salt and Pepper Soft Shell Crab ($20). This dish is my favourite of the night. The crab is perfectly crumbed and leaves a salty aftertaste which I find addictive. I smack my lips and go back for some more.  The tempura crumb is light which allows you to enjoy the soft shell crab. The fried crunchy onion also adds further crunchy texture and there's sliced red chillis for heat. I highly recommend this dish.



We are feasting on the entrees and they are quite filling. To further create enjoyment in the night, we share a bottle of Margan's wine. Margan's is one of my favourite wineries in the Broke Fordich region of the Hunter Valley. This Semillion is a great drop and would compliment the dishes at East Ocean.




For your choice of fresh seafood, there are market prices. I discuss my favourite seafoods with Jason and we land on the Live Scallops with Steamed Minced Garlic. The Scallops come out smelling so delicious; Jason and I can't resist. We take a few quick photos before devouring the scallop. The ginger is well roasted and cooked and melts into the scallop. If you can afford it, definitely go for the market seafood. It's that fresh! You can see it in the tanks!



By this stage, I am quite full. Matt and Jason are still going strong. We decide to be experimental and order the Stir Fried Diced Wagyu Tenderloin with Foi Gras ($38).  The wagyu beef is glistening and looks amazing. Matt comments that the Foi Gras (duck liver) must be a light coating on the wagyu. 



For an Australian classic, you may want to order the Lemon Chicken ($26). The chicken is coated in a thick tempura (perhaps too thick) and accompany lemon sauce. We pour the sweet lemon sauce onto the lemon chicken and reminisce about old days of lemon chicken.



Summary: Overall, I was quite impressed by the renovation of East Ocean. It looks brand new, modern and the staff are eager to please. My favourite dish is that salt and pepper soft shell crab but I also really enjoyed the fresh scallops. Why not check it out for lunch or dinner today!

Price: We ordered way too much but there are a number of dishes that are reasonably priced $25 or less and the seafood at market prices will cost more.

Also for those who appreciate a bit of art, be sure to have a look at the stairs on your way out.

Location: Level 1, 421-429 Sussex St, Sydney


Opening Hours: 
Monday to Friday 10am-3pm; 5pm-2:30am
Weekends 9:30am to 3pm; 5pm to 2:30am

Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.
禧市 East Ocean Seafood Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment