Sunday 27 October 2019

Macleay St Bistro, Potts Point

From my instagram WeekendFoodEscapes

From Matt's photography

Macleay St Bistro is in it's 37th year of operations and has long term standing customers.
 I have been to Macleay St Bistro twice last year and I am eager to return again for another delicious meal. Macleay St Bistro is perfection and is firmly locked in my food memory bank. So I have high expectations as it's my third visit.

Hubby and I arrive at Macleay St Bistro on Sunday at 12pm for some lunch. As it's getting warmer, we decide to sit outside and enjoy the people watching. I'm happy to hear that there is free BYO on Sundays and there's a new dish for two - the Sunday Roast.

If you haven't been prepared and brought  a bottle of wine, they have a a wine list to choose from as well.





I decide to order some entrees to kick off the meal. Matt orders the Macleay St Bistro Organic Grass Fed Eye Fillet Steak Tartare w Mini Baguette ($28). This is a mini food show in front of you as the egg yolk is mixed in with the steak tartare along with enshallot, anchovy paste, dijon and cornichon. I watch on as it's being gingerly folded over.





Matt also says yes to some olive oil, Worcestershire sauce and a few drops of tabsco. Now that it's all mixed in with a number of different flavours, they all combine for the ultimate beef tartare. Matt licks his lips and scoops some on a crusty crouton before devouring.  I highly recommend if you are a beef tartare fan!







For entree, I order the Twice Baked French Onion Soufflé w Truffle Butter & Sourdough Roll ($24). This onion souffle is what dreams are made of. Firstly, it's such a beautiful sight to the eye. Secondly the smell of that rich, cheesey surrounds the Souffle.



I get my knife and fork ready and rip into the souffle.  Structurally, the onion souffle holds well together with a strong crust. On the inside, you will see softly baked onion that soaks in all those cheesey flavours. To complete the dish, it is served up with crusty bread and truffle butter. I spread a generous amount of truffle butter on the warm bread. I bite into this simple yet most delicious combination. I sequentially eat the onion souffle in between bites of the truffle buttered bread. I am in heaven. This dish is just perfection. I highly recommend. I cannot gush anymore about this! It's just delightful.






I have enjoyed the entrees so much, I almost forget about mains. But first, Matt orders a Belgian Chimay Beer. It's origins are actually in a Belgian monastery known as the Trappists. Matt enjoys the beer which has sweet and fruity aroma. Remember there's FREE BYO on Sundays so I enjoy the wine. Cheers! What a wonderful Sunday.









Now for the main event, it's the Poulet Rôti et Légumes pour deux: Dimanche seulement Sunday Roast for Two, which is available at Lunch & Dinner only. This is a  Roast Chicken Breast, Baked Pumpkin, Roasted; Eschallots, Carrots & Potatoes ($38pp) $76. I also recommend you order the Sauce Pot of Eschallot, Mushroom & Thyme Infused Cream Sauce ($4)



On first impression, the chicken is highly aromatic and the vegetables look cooked perfectly. It's only when I pour some of the sauce that I truly unlock the magic. That sauce is AMAZING! The roast chicken is exactly as expected, flavoursome, perfectly cooked and the roast vegetables have soaked in all those chicken flavours. I like a bit of crunch on my vegetables and enjoy chomping on the potato, carrot and pumpkin. I also order a side of Buttered Green Beans w Shallots ($10). The green beans are well cooked with a slight crunch. 



Nom nom nom, there's something highly enticing about Macleay St Bistro. They just execute food in the highest quality. 


I am quite full by this stage but Matt is still enticed by dessert so we order the Crepes Suzette ($17) with flambee with grand mariner ($10). The crepes have a caramelised sugar and butter sauce with orange juice and ice cream. The crepes are swimming in the sauce. Furthermore, I am treated to the flaming Grand Marnier which is a french liquor. It has an orange flavour which is complimentary to the crepes suzette. It's a nice way to end the perfect meal. What a unicorn.

Summary: Overall a perfect meal as always at Macleay St Bistro. Sundays is the day to dine with the free BYO and also that Sunday Roast. I highly recommend all the dishes I've tried in this blogpost. It's just perfection.

Price: Approx $100 per person


Location: 73A Macleay St, Potts Point


Opening Hours: 

Closed Monday
Tuesday to Friday 5:30pm to 11pm
Weekends 11:30am to 11pm





Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.


Macleay Street Bistro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment