Tuesday 20 August 2019

Cafe Gem: Local Mbassy, Ultimo


It's been a few years since I've been to Local Mbassy. I have fond memories of my last visit of hearty breakfasts and unique drinks. Local Mbassy is a hidden gem of a cafe located in Ultimo. The Australian Good Food Guide kindly facilitated this most recent revisit to Local Mbassy. You can read about my first visit here.

Local Mbassy is relatively busy as I walk in, I see small groups of people drinking coffee, eating their breakfast and chatting amongst each other. Local Mbassy has a relaxing vibe. The staff greet me and I take a seat at the bar so I can look out the window.

The menu has a good range of dishes to choose from. I ask the staff for a recommendation as I'm feeling indecisive on this particular day. 








Matt starts off with one of their new additions to the drink menu. There's the Coconut Mocha ($4.50). I take a sip of this drink and there's this nice smooth hint of coconut, followed by silky rich chocolate and a mild coffee aftertaste. It's actually quite a sweet drink overall if you're looking for a treat. 

I order one of my favourites, the Hot Taro Latte ($4.50, reg size) is a beautiful purple colour. The taro latte has so comforting with it's nutty vanilla taste topped and creamy aftertaste. This is also a sweet treat for breakfast.



 




For brunch, I order the Avocado and Feta Bruschetta ($17) which has smashed avocado, poached eggs, cherry tomatoes persian feta, basil, olive oil, chilli flakes and house made balsamic glaze. The iconic "smashed avo" is iconic for a reason - it's simply a great combination.  The thick toast holds together the two perfectly poached eggs, the smashed avo is neatly stacked  and is topped with with salad leaves. The Poached eggs, smashed avo is further amplified by the saltiness of the feta and sweetness from the balsamic glaze.








Next I also taste the Shakshuka (Meat Ball $19, vegetarian option available) which has mediterranean meat balls, eggs braised in a thick tomato salsa. This dish smells absolutely heavenly, especially in this colder weather. I take a big bite out of the meatball. It's delicious and very hearty with subtle hints of herbs. I take some of the turkish bread and dip it into the tomato sauce - this is the perfect warming winter breakfast.





As a weekend treat, Matt and I also share the The Wild Berry Hot Cake ($16) which is french toast with berry compote and vanilla ice cream. What is life without a little treat. The french toast is has been prepared with eggs and milk before being coated in a house made berry compote. The berry compote is like a chunky jam. The vanilla ice cream makes for a smooth cut through all the sweetness of the compote.

Summary: Overall, I really enjoyed my revisit of the Local Mbassy. I'd definitely be a regular if I lived nearby. The menu has so many options and everything is of high quality.

I recommend ordering the Meatball Shakshuka as it would be very satisfying in this cooler weather. It's delish.

Price: Most dishes are $16-20


Location: 310 Wattle St, Ultimo NSW


Opening Hours: 

Monday to Friday 6:30am to 4pm
Weekends 7:30am to 4pm


Weekend Food Escapes dined as guests of the venue or their representatives. All photos, opinions and words are my own.
Local Mbassy Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. Cleaners from a trustworthy relationship to do your move out cleaning is an ideal decision and now you don't have to worry over your home Bond cleaners Sydney | Exit clean | Exit cleaners amazing and stunning. I appreciated it so much and thank you for a marvelous article, it helped me a ton.

    ReplyDelete