Sunday 25 August 2019

Visit the South Coast! Part 6 Shoalhaven: Pelican Rocks Cafe and Mountain Ridge Wines

Stunning views from Moutain Ridge Estate

The Shoalhaven region is absolutely beautiful. This is part 6 of my South Coast series. Read all about my travel adventures and enriching food with Part 1-5. You will have to consider stopping by on your way to the South Coast Food and Wine Festival on 14-15 September 2019. I was introduced to some of the most gorgeous venues in Shoalhaven by Destination NSW.


I have heard that the best fish and chips are served at a venue named Pelican Rocks Cafe. So I was eager to see if they live up to their reputation and all the awards they have won. They won Best Fish and Chips 2019 (3 years in a row) in NSW judged by the people and they also won another award for Best Fish and Chips as judged by the judges at Fisheries Research and Development Corporation. Impressive.

We briefly speak to the owner, Sam (his untamed hair flows in the wind)  and I notice he seems really down to earth and modest about their awards.  As I enter the Pelican Rocks Cafe, I can see many people buzzing in and out. It sure looks popular and we have a reservation so we are seated straight away. Hurrah!




I see a number of options on the menu including seafood, burgers, salad and there is a breakfast menu on the other side. I look at a nearby table and notice a generous and scrumptious looking plate. It's working up my appetite.




Matt and I both order a cheeky ginger beer to accompany our lunch. I order the Seafood Basket ($27) which has BBQ Fish, 4 calamari rings, BBQ prawn skewers, scallop, 4 fresh prawns, oyster, garden salad, beer battered chips and lemon and tartare sauce.

Seafood Basket Photo on iphone
First of all - the seafood basket - what a beautiful looking plate of food. I think this is a great dish, possibly for one hungry person or for two if you ordered another smaller dish. The variety of seafood in this dish is fantastic. I basically start devouring this plate of food, starting off with the BBQ prawns and also the fresh prawns.  I have developed some extra skills with my knife and fork in peeling the prawns. Hurrah! The calamari rings are well crumbed and are delicious with a touch of lemon and tartare sauce. The chips are nice and crispy. I recommend ordering this dish if you love your variety in seafood.

Seafood Basket - Matt's photo via the Camera

Seafood Basket - Come to me baby!



Matt on the other hand is enticed by the Fish and Chips with garden salad, beer and battered chips ($22). He goes for the grilled fish as a healthier option. The grilled fish has a light crumb and is served with a decent portion of garden salad and beer battered chips. Matt is happy. I'm curious about what their battered fish would have tasted like as I assume this is what won the award but Matt seems very content with lunch.


The other foodies we have lunch with seem quite content as they devour their meals. So overall, I am incredibly satisfied and my tastebuds are happy.

Summary: A casual eatery known for their seafood and decent portion sizes. I really enjoyed my meal here. The Fish and Chips  and the Seafood Basket were great! It was packed when I went so perhaps go early to ensure you get a table.

Price: Most mains vary from $15-27

Location: 117 Greenwell Point, Greenwell Point 2540


Opening Hours: 

Monday to Friday 9am to 2:30pm 
Saturday 8am to 2:30pm
Sunday - Closed

The day isn't over yet. After a great lunch at Pelican Rocks Cafe, we wonder over to Mountain  Ridge Wines in Coolangatta. 





As I walk into Mountain Ridge Wines, I am immediately distracted by the gorgeous view, great atmosphere and blue skies. Mountain Ridge has a cellar door, restaurant and cafe although I am very full from lunch.

Mountain Ridge wines lives on a 75 acre working farm with gorgeous views to Coolangatta, Berry, Saddleback and Cambewarra Mountains. Honestly, the photos do not do this place justice - it's breath taking.






There's a cute little outdoor space where people are dining and looking out, an additional elevated platform where people are enjoying their wine under the sunshine. I also see a few cheeky dogs prancing around. What a view and what a vibe.

There's also an indoor area with a feature wall made from the bottom of wine bottles. There's also a charming fireplace inside.







As it's a gorgeous day, I sit in the outdoor area with my group of foodies and we are going to do some wine tasting. There is a cost for Groups of 5 or more ($5 tasting fee) and you may want to the venue notice to avoid disappointment.



Matt and I are ready for some wine tasting although I am still immersed in the view. I want to make sure I get all the photos to share with my friends (and readers). There's the Mountain Ridge semillon (2018) that is quite zesty on initial taste and the citrus tones then mellow out over my tongue. This would have gone down really well with a nice seafood lunch. We also sample the Mountain Ridge Rose (2019) and Mountain Ridge Pinot Gris (2018).






You may also be tempted by the Mountain Ridge Sparkling Chamborcin (2018). It's a bright red with a distinctive red and cherry nose. Do you like a sparkling red wine? It's growing on me, personally.




We finish the tasting on a sweet note with the Mountain Ridge Tawny Port wine which would go so well with some cheese right now. I also fall in love with their watermelon liquer which can be purchased in slushee form. This is so delicious and would be perfect in warmer weather.

I had a really nice time at Mountain Ridge Wines. What a relaxing way to spend the afternoon. 

For more information: https://mountainridgewines.com.au/



Pelican Rocks Seafood Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing blog! You have totally nailed it. I am surely going to visit the South Coast because this is amazing. I would love to know more about Sangiovese Wine because I have heard a lot about it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prawns look like Vannamei prawns?

    ReplyDelete