Tuesday 13 August 2019

Visit the South Coast Part 3: Coolangatta Estate and Monster Truck Big Foot Adventures


Coolangatta Estate is a charming winery on the South Coast of the Shoalhaven region. I had the pleasure of experiencing a wine tasting as well as a Big Foot Monster Truck driving experience up the Mountain Peak. I found this place, thanks to Destination NSW. You may want to consider checking it out on your way to the South Coast Food and Wine Festival on 14-15 2019.
Coolangatta Estate is an award winning wine maker, best known for their semillion white wines but also has a really interesting history being the first European settlement in the South Coast of NSW - which you can find out more during the Monster Truck Big Foot Tour.

Coolangatta estate is the region's only 5 star winery (James Halliday Wine Companion) and has won 160 trophies and almost 2000 wine awards at regional, national and international wine shows. How impressive!

Location: 1335 Bolong Rd, Coolangatta, NSW, 2535 (Best to drive there) or book ahead with a tour group/driver

Offerings: There are historic convict-built villages (accommodation) with 35 heritage restored rooms, restaurant, cellar door, 9 hole golf course and free self guided or monster truck adventure tours available on their "Big Foot" to the summit of Mount Coolangatta




I am a wine lover so naturally I was looking forward to the wine tasting at Coolangatta Estate. The cellar door is open 7 days a week 10am to 5pm.

I am normally a red wine drinker but I am quickly seduced by their award wining Semillon. The 2017 Coolangatta Semillon was so delicious. It is a full bodied semillion with a creamy palate and is balanced out with fruity tones. I am very impressed. I take another sip to savour the flavours.



Matt and I enjoy the wine tasting and I am quickly immersed in wine culture. I find out that Coolangatta also sells their wine under the Tyrell's brand. 

I also enjoy savouring the flavours of the Savagnin wine which can sometimes get confused with the Sauvignon Blanc grape. This wine is a sharper finish than the semillon and has light peach and citrus tones.








I also get slightly distracted as it's a beautiful day outside and the sun is shining. There's a beautiful court yard area where people are sitting with wine in the sun. What a grand life to live.  I also notice there is a restaurant with a lunch menu at the Coolangatta Estate. While I am tempted - we already have lunch plans elsewhere so I just browse the menu.







I have also booked a seat on one of the Big Foot Adventures which is conducted on this monster truck which goes up the Mountain. The locals have all talked about how this is a great draw card to the Shoalhaven area.

In my day to day life, I have very little interest or interaction with monster trucks but to my surprise - I really enjoyed the tour. The tour starts with a history guide of the first European settlement on the South Coast where you are able to see the convict built houses. Alexander Berry was granted 10,000 acres of land and oversaw this European settlement. The town of Berry is named after Alexander and his brother David.




The country vineyard vibe instantly relaxes me along with the motion of the monster truck. 




If you are a history buff, you'll enjoy all the insights and wisdom from the tour. I personally can't help but get lost in the views of the tour. As the monster truck Big Foot slowly goes up the Mountain, there are spectacular views of the skyline. You will get the opportunity to take photos.

The Big Foot Monster truck can get bumpy on the way up to the Mountain and reminds me of a children's ride. Small waves of excitement make me smile as we go up the mountain in waves of motion, followed up facts, a few jokes and commentary from our driver.


I take photos on my iphone while Matt takes photos on the camera




There is a stop where we all get off the Big Foot Monster truck and get the opportunity to take some photos without being in motion. WOW. The views are so beautiful with the South Coast's natural beauty, I fall in love with all the bush tones of shades of green, brown and blue. I really breathe in the fresh air and genuinely feel so grateful for living in such a beautiful country.



We are treated to more facts. Did you know Coolangatta is an aboriginal word which means splendid view? I soak in the views and escape into the Coolangatta Mountain surroundings.

WOW. We reach the peak of the mountain and then the fun part begins with the descending Monster Truck. As I mildly experience motion as we go down, I can't help but smile and enjoy the ride. What a beautiful day.

The Big Foot takes us back to the bottom of the Mountain and we get once last look at all the convict buildings before the tour is over.

I've had a great time enjoying the wines and the tour. I highly recommend you checking out Coolangatta Estate and the general Shoalhaven area. Be sure to check out Part 1 and 2 of my my adventures here.



Coolangatta Estate Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. Things to do in Johannesburg,South Africa,is enjoying resurgence.Find out the best things to do--from what to see to where to eat-- when you wine and oyster festival 2019 travel here.

    ReplyDelete