Saturday 24 August 2019

Visit the South Coast! Shoalhaven Part 5 - Jim Wild's Oysters, Shoalhaven


One of the nicest discoveries of the Shoalhaven South Coast region are the delicious oysters and friendly locals. You may want to consider visiting Jim's Wild Oysters (call beforehand to make sure of opening hours) on your way to the South Coast Food and Wine Festival 14-15 September 2019. Jim's Wild Oysters is actually an exclusive farm that sells oysters only through their own shop and through to local restaurants. I am introduced to Jim's Wild Oysters thanks to Destination NSW.

Now there's a great view. There's something incredibly relaxing and pristine about the views at Jim's Wild Oysters. The water is still, the sky is blue and the oysters look amazing. I take a minute for myself and look into the far distance. I love this view.




There are some tables and chairs that look out onto the water. You can enjoy oysters and prawns while enjoying this view. I am eager to try Jim's Wild Oysters given they are so rare and you can't get them anywhere in Sydney. 

You can arrange a tour (if you have given notice) where you can learn about the life cycle of an oyster from spawning to table and this includes samples too!

But first, let me share a few facts with you. Jim's Wild Oysters is a family business and many of the family hold various records. Jim himself held the Australian Champion record for the fastest shuck of 30 oysters in 1984 at 2 minutes and 31 seconds. He must be a very efficient man. I'm impressed.



We are going to taste some Greenwell Point Sydney Rock Oysters and Pacific Oysters today. It's the Rock Oysters that take my attention but I am also interested in the Pacific Oysters which are not native to the area but have actually been introduced by Japan. The Pacific Oysters grow twice as large as the Sydney Rock oysters. Interesting!








I've never shucked an oyster before but I watch with interest. I can't help but half fantasise about finding a pearl as the oyster is being shucked.  Once the oysters are shucked, I pick one up and take a small sniff of the oyster with those natural sea flavours.

I pick up a wedge of lemon and squeeze this over the oyster. I delicately put the oyster to my mouth and taste the fresh oyster. It's delicious!  I pick up a second oyster and this time add some lime juice with a few drops of tabasco sauce. I'm hooked!

There's a certain charm about this place and I highly recommend a tour if you're in a group. Otherwise head over for some fresh oysters and prawns. They are delish.

Be sure to read all about my other Shoalhaven adventures including Part 1-4 here.













Jim Wild's Oysters Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment: